Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battery explosion....

Banned
    Here is an interesting if not concerning link regarding "maintenance free" batteries and trickle chargers. Perhaps you are better off not using them?
    https://www.worksafe.vic.gov.au/__da...plosionsv3.pdf

Matt P is on to it. We use second hand batteries to run electric fences and low amp lighting in tack rooms and the trick is to spec the right charger to suit the specific battery type you are using. Most solar controller will only charge wet cells. You can get chargers where you select the battery type and these have temperature compensation so can safely charge almost any lead acid type battery but they are expensive, around $350 - $500 depending on capacity.

Banned
    Seems lead acid batteries need to be discharged and don't like being fully charged constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    Your computer will be effected but running the engine at 3000 RPM for 15 seconds will reset the idle and sort out the rest.
    Mine had just been disconnected for almost 3 months and it fired straight up.
    So that's true even if it's been sitting for months? I wasn't aware of that. I was told the computer would lose ALL memory and the car wouldn't start, so that's refreshing to know.

I have always left unused cars with the battery disconnected, but for the above reason I kept this one on the charger.

So 3000 rpm for 15 secs gets it thinking, and then a short drive will reset the computer's parameters? This is an LS1, not the Holden V8. That's what you've got too isn't it?

Thanks everyone else for your advice, Saturday will see another thorough cleaning.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Yeah VY LS1. Seriously I had mine disconnected for around 2 months while we did some mods that involved a lot of welding.
    I don't know of any issue leaving them disconnected and I couldn't find much about that on the net either.

I posted the following information on another thread, but it could be what you have experienced so i thought to add it here.

Batteries have two conditions that affect their performance and lifespan. State of charge (SOC) and State of health (SOH). State of charge is the electrical pressure stored in each cell from charging (Volts) but more importantly is the state of health, which is the batteries ability to deliver current under load (internal resistance).

SOH deteriorates when sulphation of the cells occurs and this starts to happen when a 12VDC battery voltage drops below 12.4VDC A lead acid battery is fully charged at 12.72VDC, at risk of sulphation at 12.4VDC and chemically empty at 11.7VDC

High sulphation results in a high internal resistance across the cells and can lead to boiling off of the acid when charging. This boiling off can show itself as an explosion, warped or cracked battery or acid leakage from battery vents or cell caps.

This might be what you are experiencing if the battery has been left standing for a long period without charging.

Batteries that have fallen below 5VDC may not be recoverable and if they do recover under charge, will most definitely have cell sulphation which limits their CCA ability

Hope this is of some help

Alternatively before starting your car after disconnection of your battery you can turn the car onto reds and wait 10 seconds or so before cranking. This also works.

Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    Your computer will be effected but running the engine at 3000 RPM for 15 seconds will reset the idle and sort out the rest.
    You used to have to do that with EB/ED Falcons, but that was pretty much about it.
    Re computer losing memory, this is a myth. It will loose the radio memory, but that's about it. I could go and get a VS computer that I've had in the shed for about 10 years and go put it into my current VS and it'll work just fine straight away.

If the battery was that old, it may have from some formed something on the plates within the battery and therefore once a charge had been put into it, a reaction occurred. Another thing is to look at the battery and see if the case had swelled before putting it on charge, but as mentioned before the CTEK is the most popular put into caravans/motorhomes for their trickle charge ability.
    BO6 = Rarer then a Sandman

Thread Information