Not Sandman specific, but worth mentioning.....

I have a VT HSV Clubsport with very low Km's that I've had for 10 years and hardly ever drive. It lives in the shed extension I built 2 years ago and is "out of sight, out of mind" as I don't get out there much.

Because I had an issue years ago when the battery went flat and I couldn't open it or start it I have had it connected to a battery charger on trickle charge.

It's due for rego in a few days, so I thought I should get it out of the shed yesterday and give it the once over. Good thing I did, when I lifted the bonnet to disconnect the battery charger I was greeted by the sight of my battery in a heap of bits and a pool of acid on the shed floor. Surprisingly, the flashing light on the dash and the clock were still getting power!

I pulled what was left of the battery out and cleaned it all up and it is OK, but I'm wondering what might have happened?

I was under the impression that a battery charger on trickle was OK to leave indefinitely.

I am also wondering what to do now, as I don't think you can leave these modern cars disconnected for long periods of time due to the computer shutting down and not working when reconnected.

Just another reason why I'm comfortable with old cars and not new stuff.....

Any advise from those in the electrical field?