Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery explosion....

Battery explosion....

Not Sandman specific, but worth mentioning.....

I have a VT HSV Clubsport with very low Km's that I've had for 10 years and hardly ever drive. It lives in the shed extension I built 2 years ago and is "out of sight, out of mind" as I don't get out there much.

Because I had an issue years ago when the battery went flat and I couldn't open it or start it I have had it connected to a battery charger on trickle charge.

It's due for rego in a few days, so I thought I should get it out of the shed yesterday and give it the once over. Good thing I did, when I lifted the bonnet to disconnect the battery charger I was greeted by the sight of my battery in a heap of bits and a pool of acid on the shed floor. Surprisingly, the flashing light on the dash and the clock were still getting power!

I pulled what was left of the battery out and cleaned it all up and it is OK, but I'm wondering what might have happened?

I was under the impression that a battery charger on trickle was OK to leave indefinitely.

I am also wondering what to do now, as I don't think you can leave these modern cars disconnected for long periods of time due to the computer shutting down and not working when reconnected.

Just another reason why I'm comfortable with old cars and not new stuff.....

Any advise from those in the electrical field?
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Generally speaking. The trickle charger is the best thing for your batteries however, u need to get one suited to the type of battery you have in your car. Lead acid batteries are the everyday batteries that u can "top up" and they would be the easiest to maintain but every now and again need to be checked for fluid levels and the calcium/calcuim batteries which are commonly referred to as maintainence free batteries. These batteries require a different charger so they dont over charge. 14.1V is a recommended voltage for these.

Sandman Driver
    Hey Rob, maybe it'd be a good idea to have a really good look at that again, and a real decent hose down, where did the battery acid end up, could have just leaked out, or could have sprayed around everything. Sulphuric acid is pretty crap on just about everything it touches, hose her down I reckon, everywhere! use heaps of water (underside of of bonnet too of course!).

If its not being used for months at a time maybe disconnect negative terminal and leave bonnet ajar?

Mix up a solution of baking soda and warm water and pour it over the affected area, this will neutralise the sulphuric acid properly. Then wash down with water again.

What brand battery charger? I use a Ctek brand battery charger so far so good.

Cheers Dave
    Last edited by 1BadVan; 17-04-2015 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandaro View Post
    If its not being used for months at a time maybe disconnect negative terminal and leave bonnet ajar?
    ^^^ what he said. it's staggering how many people leave batteries connected on cars not intended to be driven in the short term.
    Last edited by Vombil; 17-04-2015 at 10:43 AM.
    BQZ

Quote Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post

I am also wondering what to do now, as I don't think you can leave these modern cars disconnected for long periods of time due to the computer shutting down and not working when reconnected.

Just another reason why I'm comfortable with old cars and not new stuff.....

Any advise from those in the electrical field?
    Pretty sure that's a Myth. I've never had any trouble with computer controlled vehicles being left without power for long periods of time. I always disconnect the batteries on my farm cars and they fire straight up after reconnection.

Have you considered Gel cell type batteries, I have 2 Rods with Odyssey batteries in them, and (unfortunately) sometimes go for weeks - months without being started. One would be 10 years old & never let me down, even when you have to crank for a while to get the fuel up to the carby. The only downside I have found is they don't like a bit of drain like if you leave stereo on while stopped they got flat quick & wont charge up from car, have to be overnite charged. Maybe that's because they are only small in size. I haven't heard if people putting these in regular cars, but I cant see why not? Anyone heard of this being done?

Just spoke to my mechanic about this and he said that it would be a charging issue and that the charger might not have been on trickle charge.
    Also there is no issue with disconnecting your battery for long periods as all the info is stored in the computer, it might run rough for a bit that's all.

Your computer will be effected but running the engine at 3000 RPM for 15 seconds will reset the idle and sort out the rest.
    Mine had just been disconnected for almost 3 months and it fired straight up.

Thread Information