Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Rob's HJ Ute Project

Big Rob's HJ Ute Project

I got this ute years ago from a mate that lost interest in it and was intending to build it up as a replica Sandman. Once I got my van the ute has sat around gaining more patina but the other day my Wife decided I had better do something with it or get rid of it.

So obviously I now have to do something with it.

I'm thinking about leaving it looking ratty, putting one of my sets of retrimmed seats in it and making the interior comfortable, and fitting my 8" recently painted GTS wheels on it. Black grille and headlight surrounds, new blinkers and side markers and lower it a bit. Its got a good 253 and 4-speed in it so it can stay like that for a while, but I've got a new 355 stroker on the engine stand with flat top pistons, big cam, Edelbrock manifold and 600 Holley that might slip in easily....

I'd also like some info on it's original colour. It's a 3/75 and my Dulon colour mixing book only goes to 1974.

Tag details are;
    HJ8WN80
    1900 60V
    567-15946
    L32 M15 GU4

M15 is 3 on the tree right? Someone's done a good conversion, steering column is from a HX/Z. Dash is HZ Kingswood SL with variable speed wipers and GTS wheel.
    My HJ Ute Buildup 2007 012 small.jpgMy HJ Ute Buildup 2007 011 small.jpg
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Original colour was Persian Sand Metallic (Glitter Poo).
    Actually not a bad colour. Old show Van named Centerfold you might remember was that colour.
    There was a MKI and MKII version of Persian Sand Met.

253, Three on the Tree, 3.08:1

Sandman Guru
    Yes, standard HJ V8 driveline (except GTS, Premier, LS and Statesman). HJ utes and vans are good things in that you can do most anything you want engine wise, you get a far better dash and can have retractable seat belts without Engineering.

Thanks, there's a lot of Persian Sand on it (some in the cabin, inside doors, etc), so I was thinking that might have been original.

It's not a bad ute, dead straight and virtually rust-free. I was originally going to do it up to a high level, but I have far too much on my plate and would never get it done. I was thinking about painting it Silver Mink (I love that colour) with GTS blackouts, but I'm liking the "barn find" or "patina" look that is popular at the moment. I'm putting it on club rego, so hope to have it going soon.

Speaking of retractable belts.... I need a set if anyone has some they want to part with. They don't need to be perfect, just in working order. I have the stalks.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Sandman Guru
    There are a few kinds so they may not mate up to the stalks you have. Best to buy as a set.

Rares do them for around $115/set. I wouldn't stuff around with second hand belts mate, not for that price anyway.

Ebay listing
    Nunc est bibendum...

Well, you can sell it to me. I'm interested.
    Also drove past one in Parkes today, in undercoat, Low, wide black wheels deep dish, full length rear bumper. Looked tough as nails.

Quote Originally Posted by RAEME View Post
    Well, you can sell it to me. I'm interested.
    Also drove past one in Parkes today, in undercoat, Low, wide black wheels deep dish, full length rear bumper. Looked tough as nails.
    Oh, I hope my Wife doesn't read this! She'll have you down here picking it up before I know anything about it!

Wait until I get it on the road and I'll see how much I love it. I have a feeling it will be one of those cars that I'll really like despite it's roughness. I really want a ute that I can just chuck stuff in and get the job done and not worry about scratches and dings...and this looks like it will fit that description well while still having a degree of "Cool".

I spent an hour or so on it Wed arvo. Just doing a couple of things a day will see it ready to drive soon. I've gotta pull out the gearbox and fit a new clutch... It's stuck to the flywheel from sitting for so long!

And I need a full length rear bumper too..... That'll save me fixing the ding on the left side of the numberplate. Anyone?
    Last edited by Big Rob; 30-04-2015 at 03:28 AM.

Sandman Driver
    Looks like the panels are all pretty straight Rob, nice project!

I might have a bumper, think the one I've got is HX though, dunno how straight it is - ok from memory. I may even have two. PM me if you like and I'll have a look at whats up the back of the shed.

Yep, all panels are straight and rust-free (a bit of surface rust on the guards and bonnet now, but no big deal). A couple of pin holes in the plenum near the screen, quarters are perfect. I may use these doors on my van and the van doors on the ute as the van doors are a bit wavy at the bottoms.

I fixed a big sticking point to my progress on Friday. The drain tube from the plenum on the drivers side was not connected and letting water in. I was having trouble getting at it to attach it and make it stay in place, but I finally got it and used a good adhesive and it appears to be stuck well.

Now I can tape up the wiring loom, raise and attach the steering column, then refit the dashpad, dash and steering wheel and get it out in the driveway for a full pressure wash.

I love it when you start making progress, no matter how small an amount!

Thread Information