Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help 308 wont start!

Help 308 wont start!

Hey guys,

Just thought I would ask to see if maybe some of you have had similar problems. I've transplanted a 308 from a hz statesman into my HZ p/van and it had been sitting for a few months before and after the engine swap and now trying to start it up it turns over great, getting plenty of spark, fuel and air (seemingly) but it just wont start. It occasionally backfires a little (very small backfire) out of the carby, and it did the same once out the exhaust but it just wont kick into life.

Any idea why or what the problem may be? we have re-set the ignition timing, had the rocker covers off and all the push rods / valves seem to be moving fine, it appears like its getting everything it needs it just wont go.

any and all help would be appreciated. if a valve is getting stuck / not opening properly could that be part of the cause?

Cheers guys.

A valve sticking would not be the reason its not starting, backfire maybe.
    Check all your spark plugs and gaps recheck the timing mack sure its not flooding.
    You might want to try some airostart when you try starting use only that and no fuel.

Awesome thanks mate, that will save pulling the heads off for sure haha.

we did reset the timing to TDC and reset the dizzy so could be the plugs.

Cheers.

Flamenco_not_Flamingo
    Check firing order.Check that your not 180 out.

Just some things that have happened to me.

Sandman Guru
    Sounds like 180 out to me, that or no fuel. Do the accel pumps spray fuel when you crack the throttle?

Quote Originally Posted by Flamenco_not_Flamingo View Post
    Check firing order.Check that your not 180 out.

Just some things that have happened to me.
    As Flamenco said, common to set dizzy to TDC but on wrong stroke, lift dizzy up just enough to disengage gear, spin rotor by hand 180 and put back down.

Are you using new fuel or old fuel in the tank?

Bring number 1 cylinder to TDC on a compression stroke and pop the dizzie cap and check where the rotor is pointing. It should be number 1 plug lead. If not, it is (as already said) likely to be 180° out.

it sprays fuel, we have checked the firing order and reset it, but didn't lift the dizzy to disengage the gear, may give that a go.
    it is fuel that has been sitting in the tank about the same time, not exactly rich enough to drain it and re-fill it haha, but we have tipped fresh stuff in the carb and sprayed
    starter fluid in there too, a small back fire out the carby was all we got.

All very helpful stuff guys thanks heaps

Try cranking it with the cap off the dizzy, have a look at the rotor button make sure it's turning on engine crank, if it's not check that the button isn't broken or indeed even a dizzy drive gear. Also check your coil.

im thinking black as fouled plugs caused by heaps of cranking and flooding pull one out if foulded chuck new set in dont try cleaning because unless youve got a small sandblaster it dosent clean enought for good spark

Thread Information