Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NOS HZ RTS chassis for sedan

Leadfoot
    Did the HZ models have problems with there chassis??? someone told me the HQ chassis was a lot stronger, any truth in that? and what is the difference on the chassis for RTS?

Sandman Guru
    HZ chassis is thinner steel and aparantly better quality. HQ chassis is identical to HJ and also HX up until about 6/77. Late HX are the same as HZ.

If you put a HQ-6/77 HX side by side with a 6/77 onwards and look at the upper control arm mount and where the shock absorber sits you'll see the difference. Shocky doesn't move relative to the rest of the chassis but its position relative to the upper control arm does. Read up on suspension geometry and what moving the upper control arm backwards does and you'll get an idea.
    Last edited by HK1837; 10-05-2015 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Error

Quote Originally Posted by tidyvan View Post
    Rounded.
    ... not WB.

Mauser
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

Good score!

Reviving this old thread - why the difference?

The attached picture shows a van chassis (left) and a sedan chassis (right). The van chassis arms are fully closed while the sedan chassis arms are open C shapes, but with a box section (second hole from the top) on them.
    The diagram has a circle where I expected the front chassis would join the rear chassis.
    If the front part of the chassis is replaced, does that mean the inside closed part of the van chassis, nearly the full length of the arm, has to be picked off and then attached to the new front part?

Pic
    TwoChassis.jpeg

Diagram
    ChassisJoin.jpeg
    We'll get there shortly.

Banned
    You can see it slips up inside the rear commercial chassis. Yes I would think it would go all the way up there as it would be weak as anything if it didn’t.
    Be easier just to find a better commercial chassis.

The commercial chassis gets cut where it widens out right near the front cab mount is. You can see a vertical slot on the outside of the chassis, that is cleaned out, & the car chassis is stitched through that slot.
    I reckon there would be a repair procedure around, someone may have a copy of.
    This was a common repair on tonners in the 80s & 90s, I was involved in a few over the years. Guys bought front end damaged ones, & put them back on the road. Would buy a sedan out of the paper on the weekend, (we would usually buy prems or done up cars, so we could sell off all the bits) strip the chassis down, & take the ute/tonner to panel shop (with the cab off, & bare replacement chassis, & for a bit of cash, they would get it done after work within a couple days.
    The ute would be back on the road next week.
    Never actually saw it being done, but I'm sure the car rails were cut, & only part was tied in

Cheers
    Max

Thread Information