Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: sandman decals hx hz

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    OK, it must be a secret...

Early HZ's had lots of earlier parts, just like the Allen head sports horn cap.
    To my knowledge all early HZs, with a chassis number beginning with AHZ (up to the end of Jan 78) had the silver (two wing) ignition barrel. The black (single wing) barrel was fitted to all BHZ onwards.

When I purchased my HZ BO6 in Dec 77, my brother purchased a new HZ Sandman & a good friend purchased an HZ GTS at the same time.

All 3 of these cars were plated 10/77 yet both the Sandy & the GTS had the correct rounded HZ horn cap.

I've not seen an HZ with an Allen key type cap that was genuinely factory fitted. There may of course be exceptions at particular plants, but they would be very rare.

What other early parts are you referring to ? There is usually a reason for any parts running into the next models series, especially if they are specific items.

As far as the OP is concerned, what does he mean when he says he has an HX registered as an HZ. Surely the rego papers have the correct chassis number on them & it is really correct ? Unless it has a police re-stamp, the chassis number should be prefixed BHX, AHZ or whatever.

Dr Terry

Flamenco_not_Flamingo
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
    To my knowledge all early HZs, with a chassis number beginning with AHZ (up to the end of Jan 78) had the silver (two wing) ignition barrel. The black (single wing) barrel was fitted to all BHZ onwards.

When I purchased my HZ BO6 in Dec 77, my brother purchased a new HZ Sandman & a good friend purchased an HZ GTS at the same time.

All 3 of these cars were plated 10/77 yet both the Sandy & the GTS had the correct rounded HZ horn cap.

I've not seen an HZ with an Allen key type cap that was genuinely factory fitted. There may of course be exceptions at particular plants, but they would be very rare.

What other early parts are you referring to ? There is usually a reason for any parts running into the next models series, especially if they are specific items.

As far as the OP is concerned, what does he mean when he says he has an HX registered as an HZ. Surely the rego papers have the correct chassis number on them & it is really correct ? Unless it has a police re-stamp, the chassis number should be prefixed BHX, AHZ or whatever.

Dr Terry
    lol sandman 78, I don't think this answered your question either!

Hang in there mate, there will be some one come along soon.

Cruiser
    Is this van an HX or an HZ ?

What is the chassis number prefix ?

Dr Terry

Sandman Guru
    I'll check up the standard stripe configuration for 1938 for you when I get home as I don't have it with me.

The first 20 or so HZ's were complianced 6/77 (I believe this is when the HX's rails were fitted with RTS upper control arm mounts). These are mainly brochure cars and other such internal stuff. Volume production started early 9/77 although there are also 8/77 HZ's at some assembly plants.

As Dr Terry says early HZ's have a fair bit of HX style stuff on them, which is normal. It is also normal for some stuff to change early, an example being the HX's upper control arm mounts. Sometimes a running change also occurs and people think it is a "HZ" or "HJ" or other such thing, but it is simply a change made for whatever reason (normally cost or reliability or commonality of parts) - example the full cable clutch setup people associated with WB actually was introduced into HZ in approx. alignment with Commodore. You find colour and trim varying across GMH's series' as well, eg HB Torana and LX Torana introduction saw changes to colour and/or trim in the current Holdens at the time (HK and HJ).
    1974 AHJ complianced HJ's have a fair amount of HQ stuff on them too which didn't change until BHJ started.

wow still didnt get what l was asking for but some of stuff what Dr Terry says is correct the van was made 11/77 reg 2/78 1938- 18v trim with RTS if one wants to challange meon that put on it as much as you want on it l know what l have and chassic is still the same
    so all lm asking for what colour decal was used for supper mint metalic so far Duc 19991 is the only one to come up with the blue stripe is this right decal yes or no

Sandman 78, I'm no expert on HX and HZ decal colours, but in wanting an definite answer, people are trying to help you, but as far as I know there are different decals available for HX or HZ . I think the questions asking you what you've got HX or HZ(ie what is your chassis or model number say it is) will help people give you the answer your after? Its pretty simple to find out

Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    Super Mint (not suppermint) is a 1977-8 colour.
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman 78 View Post
    so all lm asking for what colour decal was used for supper mint metalic
    supper [suhp-er]
    Examples Word Origin
    noun
    the evening meal, often the principal meal of the day.
    any light evening meal, especially one taken late in the evening:
    an after-the-theater supper.

Hope this helps!

Spelling is correct, it's just a different word and meaning.

Sandman78 im no guru far from it but all the Supermint vans and utes i have seen in my time have all been the same as Duc1991 never ever seen one with purple decal thats not to say someone could have ordered one new from factory
    hope this helps
    11/77 = HZ all day long

Sandman Guru
    HZ DY4 (White/Blue-Green/Dark-Blue). This is different to HX DY4 (Bright-Yellow/Light-Orange/Dark-Orange)

Thread Information