Thread: Correct ignition barrel for 5/76 HJ sandy.

Correct ignition barrel for 5/76 HJ sandy.

Hi all. My HJ has the incorrect steering column. Its got a later model one with the big hole for the indicator stalk. Ive seen a few different types of ignition barrel trims. Some have two tabs ether side of the key and a square key. Other have one tab with a more rectangle key. What does the original HJ one look like so i know what to get?
    1976 HJ XX7 Sandman
    Genuine VN SS manual atlas grey
    HX LE Coupe project

Two silver tabs with square key.

Ahh sweet i have one of those 😁 but i think its on a HX colunm. The single tab i think ive seen in WB's i think. Just need to get the right section of column with the right indicator stalk hole.

Sandman Driver
    I'm not sure thats quite so simple. I can't tell for sure from your description atm but when you say the "right section of column" (I think meaning the upper bearing housing) that doesnt sound likely to be interchangeable with the column you're describing?.

You might like to have a look at this thread http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/s...eering-columns

Ozbox has a good thread on identifying different columns with helpful photos somewhere on the site, but when I just looked then, I couldnt find it, it may be in a different section for some reason now.

OK, basically here's the issue, as I imagine you realise, the larger holes were to incorporate the upgrade from HJ to HX by incorporating a combination washer wiper rotational switch to the indicator stalk. If you have this stalk fitted and it does operate the wipers in your HJ, then some rewiring has gone on with the steering column change. If you have the HJ style indicator stalk (slim with no rotational switch) sticking through the larger hole, then I dunno, I've never checked to see if this can fit without modification to the indicator assembly in the housing, perhaps it would, I dont know. If you have the thicker HX indicator stalk with the washer wiper switch but it does not operate the washer wiper, then it probably just a steering column change for some reason at some point.

But I'm taking the time to post this here because I think you could waste a few, or many dollars just trying to change the upper bearing housing and ignition lock and finding a series of mis-matches. They dont all fit, they dont all match, quite deliberately, but are so close to identical by eye, theres a few an easy mistakes you can make. The upper bearing housing (which houses the ignition lock) does not fit on all columns. HQ and HJ might be interchangeable (from memory only), but awhh really cant remember, maybe not, HJ to HX I am almost certain will not, and WB (from memory) is a seperate arrangement all together. With these slight changes, the angle of the ignition lock into the bearing housing also changes along the way, the rotation of the cam gear on the ignition lock also changes.

This means that having bought the parts you think will fit you find that your new (40 bucks) ignition barrel fits in the housing, but wont rotate as needed, as it binds on its cam. Also, at some point - WB? but may have been earlier or both, the alignment of the four screws (long screw in pins) also changes, so when you place the mismatched bearing housing on the column you will see they wont go in straight. If a person trys to keep screwing them in, they will in all likelihood wreck the threads in the column or on the pins, which are designed to be tourque sensitive. (These parts are getting valuable now, we all need good ones so, good parts for swaps/sale are always possible, I may have something that fits, and I may need something you have but, I'm working on so many projects atm, might take me a while to get back, but lets see what this thread turns up).

It may help to know the worst (and most expensive) mistake I think that happens from time to time is when people to attempt to remanufacture or cut and bend the steering column to fit a mismatching upper bearing housing, (that is attempting to adjust the fish net presed cowl or tube that runs up the inside of the column to fit!) This is really not a good idea if you find your parts dont match and are tempted. This is one of the biggest saftey features on the car. A column I pulled off a car that had been driveable had this attempted, and when I saw Ozbox's thread a few months after it was exactly the same as a photo he had shown. The steering column I discovered would not have been able to collapse at all had it been needed to, even though the person before me had evidently seemed to consider this. My advise, dont mangle that!! (You may however be unlucky and find it has been when you get there though - in which case a full rebuild is the best - if only - option).

It's a pity I could find ozbox's thread to reference here. It had some good pictures, it should be in steering and suspension, but I couldn't see it there this morning. It's gotta be on the site somewhere. Anyway, just letting you know, the steering column parts model to model are not all interchangeable, and you do want it right, its supposed to collapse, (just in case) its a good thing to get right.

Looking forward to a pic or two, I may have some parts for swaps as you go, I dunno, didnt check your location! I'm sure others will have steering column parts for swaps as well. Might be worth a pic or two before you spend any dollars on things that wont fit!

Best of luck, see how you go, pics are useful and interesting, I just got a strong feeling that not gonna fit. BTW, GM created an improved anti theft (single tab) ignition barrel to suit most models around the late 90's ( I have one that I bought from Holden to fit LH Torana, that later fitted my HJ, but I dont think would fit my HX's - havent tried). Feel free to PM me, I have a a couple of earlier steering columns still intact, but gotta work out whats what etc.
    Last edited by SLR_dave; 29-06-2015 at 07:30 AM.

Banned
    http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/s...nition+barrels
    Read this thread and then save yourself the nightmare and ring Greg/Ozbox and just buy the correct column.

Sandman Driver
    Sounds like a good idea.

(Added) Yep thats the thread, thanks WB, btw picture 6 of post 3 shows what I saw, someone had cut the column in one I pulled apart, in closely the same way, seemingly to me, to get the incorrect upper bearing attachments to fit.
    Last edited by SLR_dave; 29-06-2015 at 07:44 AM.

Thanks for the informative replies.
    I think the column I have in my van may possibly be a miss match already because the upper bearing housing never stays tight is always coming loose.

and to SLR Dave my set up I have now someone has fitted the original HJ indicator stalk to a HX bearing housing and butchered the hole even bigger to take it..... this is the main reason I hate the steering column. before I read this thread today I have pulled the column out of the car and checked the other column I had in the shed is from a HX and I've decided to keep the spare for my HX coupe. so I was going to try my local wreakers tomorrow (I'm on holidays) to see if I can get a complete HJ one and at worst swap my blank trim on to it.

If I cant get one I'll put a shout out on here for one, IM in Adelaide.
    1976 HJ XX7 Sandman
    HX LE Coupe project

Sandman Driver

So had my time wasted today. one wreaker I normally go to and is normally very good told me he had a original HJ blank column in a HJ Prem. I asked to see it before the pulled it out to make sure and he said no, he wanted a small fortune for it but I agreed, two hours latter he turns up with a HZ column that is missing the blank trim and rusty thread?? I had to argue with him that it was not HJ and give me my deposit back!! erhh angry

So if anybody has a HJ steering column they would like to sell PM. I'm in Adelaide post code 5169
    1976 HJ XX7 Sandman
    HX LE Coupe project

Thread Information