Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Front suspension rebuild

So i posted some questions the other day on lower control arm bushes and specific wear. I got my ute back to Pedders today and its now in for lower control arm bush replacement as the near new units are worn badly. I took a couple of pics and a video to post here for comment. These bushes are about 2-3 months old and this looks very bad.

20180301_161307.jpg

20180301_161315.jpg

Gee, hard to believe the bushes failed to this extent so quickly, no matter what quality they were. Do you do a lot of off roading? It will be interesting to hear what the techs say once the bushes are replaced. I presume you have checked your front end alignment, & chassis for out of square.

I just went and checked my plastic rear spring shackle bushes on my 4WD and yep guess what there toast i will never ever use plastic again these were Old Man Emu suppose to be the best ppfftt rubber all the way from now on

Quote Originally Posted by maxsandman View Post
    Gee, hard to believe the bushes failed to this extent so quickly, no matter what quality they were. Do you do a lot of off roading? It will be interesting to hear what the techs say once the bushes are replaced. I presume you have checked your front end alignment, & chassis for out of square.
    No off roading at all. The tonner is my daily driver between Chelsea and Richmond so just cruises up and down the Nepean Hwy in Melbourne. I had nolathane bushes on the lower front and decided late last year to swap them out with rubber bushes as that's what everyone seemed to recommend. I grabbed these ones from Kingswood Country and in they went. I'm going to retrieve them and give some feedback to Kingswood Country (nothing angry as the KC guys are always very good) as i think these are not up to scratch. Pedders reckon they know what the issue is so i'm going to ping them for more detail when i pick it up this arvo.

Leadfoot
    As you live in Melbourne and travel up the Nepean you have MACKAY in Moorabbin who were the original manufacturers for GMH. Their aftermarket section might be worth calling. They have the technical knowledge as a producer of Rubber bushes, mounts etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gregbark View Post
    As you live in Melbourne and travel up the Nepean you have MACKAY in Moorabbin who were the original manufacturers for GMH. Their aftermarket section might be worth calling. They have the technical knowledge as a producer of Rubber bushes, mounts etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JDT View Post
    http://www.mackayrubber.com.au/catalogues/

Mackay Consolidated are OEM suppliers. Back in the day they were called Mackay Silentruba. Pretty sure they still supply GMH today. Very good product.
    I sold these for over 20 years and rarely had any complaint.
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

Quote Originally Posted by gregbark View Post
    Thanks Greg

Didn't know that, might drop by for a chat. Cheers

Ok, so i got the tonner back tonight and it steers like a race car. Really good feel and response after bush replacement and wheel alignment. Pedders left the old bushes in the car as requested and i got home and had a look. Very disturbing to see the effect after such a short time in service on the old bushes. See pics below of two out of the four bushes. These are the worst two units.

20180302_181559.jpg

20180302_181614.jpg

20180302_181624.jpg

20180302_181636.jpg

20180302_181646.jpg

We’re they tightened while still up in the air?
    Just a thought?

Cheers Kiwivan
    It is not about the journey,It is the style we travel in!

Thread Information