Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HQ chassis number meaning

Learner Driver

HQ chassis number meaning

Hi all new here. Having trouble finding out what model my chassis is under my hx van as it has been changed some point in its life. Have been told it's a hq by previous owner but want to be sure before starting build. Number is DH08XXX5S. X is in place of a few numbers. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Id be guessing that it is actually DHQ... which would indicate HQ (1971-1974)

cheers Max

Yep, that's a Q.

Which means you have a HQ van as far as the authorities are concerned. Which also means you can stick a non ADR motor in it and legally register it. I also think you can stick a 350 Chev in as it was a HQ option.
    Let me know if you want to sell it!!!!
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Banned
    The first letter indicates the ADR update. The second two letters indicate the series. So HQ as there is no HO Holden. D would be late in the series. Possibly 74.

Learner Driver
    Thanks for the info guys after you said it was a Q I had another look and it clearly is. I've heard that the vehicle has to be registered as what ever model chassis it's on so I was hoping it was hq so I could run the chev. Anyway thanks again for the help and might get some photos when I start the build.

Admin note: Moved thread to Chassis section, this doesn't belong in the Showroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post
    Yep, that's a Q.

Which means you have a HQ van as far as the authorities are concerned. Which also means you can stick a non ADR motor in it and legally register it. I also think you can stick a 350 Chev in as it was a HQ option.
    Let me know if you want to sell it!!!!
    Sadly, in Vic anyways, you couldnt put a small block chev without engineers cert. The commercial line was never optioned with 350s, only sedans, wagons & coupes. I have already gone through all the channels to find that out, so after frustration, i decided on big block.....and even then, laws have changed where 400ci is the max theyll allow, unless youre prepared for some chassis bracing mods ie...braces, lower wishbone plates, tailshaft loops, trans cross member strengtheneing, then you could get lucky and pass 454ci. A 502 or 572 BBC wont even get a look in.......the laws have changed, but only because of cowboys doing dodgies over the years.
    Im not sure what its like in NSW, but from what i understand, Vic is more relaxed when doing engineers cert.

Learner Driver
    In nsw were allowed to increase engine capacity by 15% more then the biggest motor released for that model without engineers. But my understanding of it was as long as that motor was released in any of the models be monaro or tonner you could use that motor

Thats the pain in the arse....each state goes by their own rules, which confuses everyone.

Queensland is real simple, "if it didn't come with it, then you cant have it."

Thread Information