Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Volkswagon and Kombi Garage Find

My Eldest brother was a combi nut. Used to build up engines in his bedroom. Mum just shut the door. They are pretty simple to restore now. Lots of repo parts. That split window tranporter and the split window van will go for serious money. Maybe double the 15,000?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_77HZ_Ute View Post
    I've got a '73 tray back that I did a bare chassis rebuild on 20 years ago, but it's in need of a second time around. About to pick up an '82 diesel in used but good original condition for a couple of grand to keep original as a survivor and drive. Been collecting parts and panels for when the '73's rerun comes. Doesn't need much to be honest, so should have a good collection to choose from.

Love the Kombis too, but probably stick to what my very basic skills are capable of.
    I was going to buy a late build one with disc brakes and the tacho in it. Planed to put a chev or 308 in it. So 83 or so one tonner. Asked my brother to check one out and he bought it himself lol. I would still like one. Tough old girls. Love the steel dash and bolt on roof etc.

I am also a bit of a kombi nut, as parents had one they brought out from UK when we migrated, then they bought a 72 beetle, which I learned to drive at age 10, but Rodney won't let me have one ATM but he did let me buy a little 74 bug. I drive it a it and it's original. Dean lavers aka qset has a 23 window panorama splitty he is restoring, and was offered $40k whilst bringing it from Ivanhoe as a project. It had no rust and was a shooting wagon and made Good one with the vinyl roll back roof lol.
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

I know its each to their own....but VWs, i just dont roll with. Long highway cruises in my uncles Kombi....hated the thing, used to cringe whenever i got in it. Horrid engine tone, suspension softer than a tub of butter in the sun and rattled more than rolled. I'll pass but hope y'all enjoy them

The panorama splitty is the holly grail - or holey depending on condition. Worth ridiculous money. My brother put a chevy corvair in his 62. Had to beat the engine cover out around it as it hung out the back about 2 - 3 inches more. Was hilarious when he would lift the front wheels on take off.

Not my cup of tea the Kombi but i wouldnt mind a beetle convertible
    black paint red trim white walls

Banned
    Saw a split window kombi go for a couple of hundred bucks at a clearing sale about 15 years ago. Wasn't in bad order either.

I have a mate up the street that is just now starting a collection of Kombi's. He bought his 1st one about 2 months ago and can't help himself.... he has 4 now and is going crazy with new engines and all sorts of stuff. He wants me to give him a hand on the body work (like I've got any time!). He's got a van, a camper and a bus in the newer style and a split-window van as well. Crazy!
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Thread Information