Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Valencia,s Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by damienengland View Post
    Yeah nice one Valencia. Whats your engine plans?
    image.jpg This junk 308
    Haven't pulled it apart yet but got the cam and lifters out and they are in a sad state
    Just strip it down hopefully no machining just rebuild it with a small cam
    its got a stage 4 cam now L34 heads 650 double pumper
    it went ok for a van
    but my hoon days are over
    i think
    Last edited by Valencia; 17-06-2019 at 08:20 PM.

Yep with you on that one. A nice set of flat top pistons, a cam around 228-230 duration@.50". Holley fuel injection carby and it will purr like a cat and a reliable dream to drive.

Yeah that sounds like a solid plan. Highly recommend as much attention on the block as you can afford (if on a budget) and the efi carb is a nice touch. Looking at the pic, are there supposed to be a couple of extra bolt holes drilled into each side of that performer manifold?

Cheers, Damo

Quote Originally Posted by axistr View Post
    Yep with you on that one. A nice set of flat top pistons, a cam around 228-230 duration@.50". Holley fuel injection carby and it will purr like a cat and a reliable dream to drive.
    Yeah i dont want anything to radical just nice to drive

Money plays a big part on these builds and
    Last edited by Valencia; 17-06-2019 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by damienengland View Post
    Yeah that sounds like a solid plan. Highly recommend as much attention on the block as you can afford (if on a budget) and the efi carb is a nice touch. Looking at the pic, are there supposed to be a couple of extra bolt holes drilled into each side of that performer manifold?

Cheers, Damo
    Not sure but that manifold is toast scrap alloy now
    Im buying everything brand new for this engine build only thing im keeping is the block
    Heads will be stripped and recon

Trying to do this on a budget but everything is grands not hundreds
    cheers Gene.

Gene I have found 308 respond well with a little bit more compression and cam duration, just get parts that are will matched to one another. they will perform well with decent economy. and above all reliable and easy to drive. I really hate engine that you have to work hard at to get them off the lights or you have to get the revs over 2,000rpm to wake them up. Its just painful driving.

Quote Originally Posted by axistr View Post
    Gene I have found 308 respond well with a little bit more compression and cam duration, just get parts that are will matched to one another. they will perform well with decent economy. and above all reliable and easy to drive. I really hate engine that you have to work hard at to get them off the lights or you have to get the revs over 2,000rpm to wake them up. Its just painful driving.
    Yeah i know what you mean this engine at the moment had heaps of power was getting 160 kph in second gear top speed 225kph (madness i know i was young and dumb) with 3.1 diff ratio but it was a pig to drive with a big cam and no stally

Stoked to see that you have dived in and got underway. Mine sat in a carport for 16 yrs so rust was minimal. Always good to start with a good body....I would love to build a nice engine for mine and find a 3.08 gear set.
    You know how to make a small fortune......start with a big one and then pour it into a panel van rebuild

Sandman Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    Gee, you'd be pretty happy if that was the worst of it Gene.
    Agreed!! It'd be awesome if thats all there is, maybe you'll be lucky! It's inspiring to see you restarted work on your van, looking forward to seeing how it goes together!

Thread Information