Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HZ Gauge cluster

Cruiser

HZ Gauge cluster

G'day,

I've been told that the voltage regulator in my HZ gauge cluster has died and in the process fried the oil, fuel and temp gauge coils.

Anyone had theirs repaired before, or recommend an instrument fitter to get a quote?

The price I was quoted could buy a whole dash, but if that's what it takes then you want your gauges reading properly hey.

Cheers

Mark
    I have had mine repaired before by St George instruments
    From memory it cost me $60-80 & they repaired the oil pressure gauge to.
    If you want your gauges double checked give me a pm and I can do it for you
    Regards
    Neil & Cherone

Cruiser
    G'day Neil,

Thanks for the offer but I sent them off to Perth today from a recommendation from Vombil on another thread.

We'll have to catch up for that ale one day too.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by hxbunny View Post
    G'day Neil,

Thanks for the offer but I sent them off to Perth today from a recommendation from Vombil on another thread.

We'll have to catch up for that ale one day too.

Cheers
    Who did u send them to in Perth?

Sandman Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by hxbunny View Post
    G'day,

I've been told that the voltage regulator in my HZ gauge cluster has died and in the process fried the oil, fuel and temp gauge coils.
    Hi Mark, what a bugger, bit expensive! I'm thinking this seems like something to be aware of. Do you know which voltage regulator?
    Although I suppose if one voltage regulator goes, it might effect the others anyway.

I assume you were able to get the voltage regulator(s) replaced? I wonder if its not a bad idea for people to consider doing that before they lose their clusters. Its pretty amazing they still work at all I suppose, a 1970's fairly low grade chip 40 years on...

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Gm nut View Post
    Who did u send them to in Perth?
    G'day Gm nut,

They were sent to Applied Instruments at Balcutta, after being recommended by Vombil in another thread.

Got the gauges back this week but haven't had time to fit them yet.

Only cost $45 for the new voltage reg and $45 to re-calibrate the gauges, plus postage.

He also helped me get the clock going as well so can't recommend him enough.

Cheers

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by SLR_dave View Post
    Hi Mark, what a bugger, bit expensive! I'm thinking this seems like something to be aware of. Do you know which voltage regulator?
    Although I suppose if one voltage regulator goes, it might effect the others anyway.

I assume you were able to get the voltage regulator(s) replaced? I wonder if its not a bad idea for people to consider doing that before they lose their clusters. Its pretty amazing they still work at all I suppose, a 1970's fairly low grade chip 40 years on...
    G'day Dave,

Apparently there is only one voltage regulator behind the oil gauge and then the fuel and temp gauges run off that one.

From what I have been told it is a bi-metal strip that operates the reg, must be over a coil like a dimmer type setup, and as it gets worn out it doesn't act the same way.

The new one is a little PC board, electronic type, that sits outside the gauges behind the oil gauge.

Was looking this up on the Aussie V8 forum and it's quite common, the Torana gauges have a similar problem as well

Cheers

StGeorge Insturments actually pulled my gauges down .
    Replaced the bimetallic strip & rewound the windings ,so you wouldn't even know they have been repaired.
    But I guess with modern technology it's easier to use modern parts.
    The old style windings these days would be a dying if not dead trade ,like most old fashioned trades.
    An ashame really...
    Regards
    Neil & Cherone

Thanks for the info..... Couple of mine are not workin, just wonder if it is the senders or what?

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Gm nut View Post
    Thanks for the info..... Couple of mine are not workin, just wonder if it is the senders or what?
    Give them a call, sure he can help you out.

Cheers

Thread Information