Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HJ XX7 Van engine #???

Learner Driver

HJ XX7 Van engine #???

Hi all, need some help with my engine #. Has a WR253 {WB commercial?}. The one before this was a QR253{HQ and HJ to HZ export?} was told this was pulled out of a torana. Would like to know if possible to find out original 253 engine number car came out with??? Model HJ8WM70 Body 363870B Thanks, new to this type of stuff

If you email Holden Historical Services with your vehicle details they can tell you the original engine numbers it came out with.

As you've gleaned the current engine is WB. QR engine may have been pulled from Torana, but wouldn't have been original to it. QR prefix is right for your van if it was 253.

Banned
    QR is 253 Holden. Torana 253 was HR. WR is WB commercial 253. If you contact Holden Historical services they can more than likely tell you the original number. Not that there would be much chance of ever finding it.

Learner Driver
    Thanks all, will check up HHServices .She is (9/75) HJ XX7 Deauville Blue Van L32 M20 GU4, more rust than van but- first the HZ van N HQ ute

As far as I am aware Holden Historical Services would only confirm an engine number. They would not give out a number off the production manifest for the reason someone stamping any old block with a number to make the vehicle have matching numbers.(thus the chance of two engine numbers the same existing) The only way of finding the original engine number would be from the dealer books, sales invoice etc, old rego papers, maybe from your relevant registration authority, or from people like Byron or Mr Jones who could give you a estimation of the number from relevant plant (Acacia Ridge) records (maybe within 500-1000 numbers of engine number). It is often that people find a engine with a similar cast date stamped block & just go with that. Being a 253, it is a good chance the engine could have been scrapped & long gone.

cheers
    Max

I thought the report HHS gave you had the engine number on it?

Banned
    i don't know why people get so twisted up about engine numbers anyway. They are not like Fords where the numbers all actually matched anyway.
    Yes I agree that it does open up potential for dodgy stamping though. That's the bonus that comes with over inflated values I suppose.

Learner Driver
    All I wanted to know was if the old {in parts QR253} could have been the first engine. Don't really care each way

Quote Originally Posted by maxsandman View Post
    As far as I am aware Holden Historical Services would only confirm an engine number. They would not give out a number off the production manifest for the reason someone stamping any old block with a number to make the vehicle have matching numbers.(thus the chance of two engine numbers the same existing) The only way of finding the original engine number would be from the dealer books, sales invoice etc, old rego papers, maybe from your relevant registration authority, or from people like Byron or Mr Jones who could give you a estimation of the number from relevant plant (Acacia Ridge) records (maybe within 500-1000 numbers of engine number). It is often that people find a engine with a similar cast date stamped block & just go with that. Being a 253, it is a good chance the engine could have been scrapped & long gone.

cheers
    Max
    Yes they will. If you give them the vin and body number they will give you the engine number! I knew the original engine number in my hj sandman ute and intentionally gave them the wrong engine numbers and they sent back the correct numbers, so someone there has their finger on the pulse.

Thread Information