Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: electrical help - fan, horn, blinkers, temp

Banned
    Take your test light. Earth it on the bolt that the little earth wire on the rad support is held on with. Put the probe on the positive battery terminal. If it lights up you can eliminate that as a problem. No need to run anymore earth leads. Then just check all the factory earth points in the harness are actually making a good contact.

haven't purchased a test light yet but i powered up the fan, earthing to the fan earth and it works no probs. obviously no power to it for some reason.

I changed neutral safety switch again, no change.

put the harness clip back on to bulk head, no change

replaced all fuses, cleaned contacts and checked there was 12V to both sides, all OK

I did notice that when I put earth on starter and positive on starter i got 12V odd. on my old mans WB i got -12V??????
    BQZ

If that was with a multimeter it means you had the probes on the wrong terminals. black to positive.

i tested earth to rad support and the bolt head was pretty dead but the thread of the bolt was OK which is weird. i swapped bolt and have good earth but has not resolved any problems. earth is also good on harness at a-pillar.

im getting a good earth anywhere on the rad support even without the body earth hooked up to the battery! anyone know if this is normal?

horn earth may be a little hit and miss.

any takers?
    BQZ

As mentioned above get a test light. Absolutely brilliant bit of kit. 10 bucks from supercheap or make your own. Can be used to test for either earth or power supply. So you can test to see if you have both, if you do then things get a bit more complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Vombil View Post
    i tested earth to rad support and the bolt head was pretty dead but the thread of the bolt was OK which is weird. i swapped bolt and have good earth but has not resolved any problems. earth is also good on harness at a-pillar.

im getting a good earth anywhere on the rad support even without the body earth hooked up to the battery! anyone know if this is normal?

horn earth may be a little hit and miss.

any takers?
    Have you done the basics (checked that all terminals and fuses are clean or not blown or dirty) with the fuse box? There is also a harness earth that connects to one of the screws that holds the fuse box in. There is also an earth that connects to the steering column, is that in situ?
    Nunc est bibendum...

Getting earth with the earth body wire disconnected would be normal theres plenty of conductors coming off the engine to the body but the earth wire to the body is far more reliable
    To eliminate a earthing problem disconnect and clean with a wire brush put grease on both surfaces and do up tight at battery and body do same on the positive terminals on the starter and alternator

Quote Originally Posted by Taily View Post
    Have you done the basics (checked that all terminals and fuses are clean or not blown or dirty) with the fuse box? There is also a harness earth that connects to one of the screws that holds the fuse box in. There is also an earth that connects to the steering column, is that in situ?
    i went through yesterday and cleaned all terminals in the harness with the exception of the big sucker behind gauges. i know the two earths you are referring to but WB does not have either, must be earlier models. the dash frame is earthed so i was thinking i could pick up some earths that are not in use and see if that helps. it's giving me the shits!
    BQZ

Quote Originally Posted by Vombil View Post
    i went through yesterday and cleaned all terminals in the harness with the exception of the big sucker behind gauges. i know the two earths you are referring to but WB does not have either, must be earlier models. the dash frame is earthed so i was thinking i could pick up some earths that are not in use and see if that helps. it's giving me the shits!
    Ahhh, thought they would have still had a similar harness to the earlier models mate, my bad.
    Nunc est bibendum...

P Plater
    silly question but re you using star washers on the body earth wires on rad support ? just had a problem with the earth on torana washers fixed it
    and star washers fixed it

Thread Information