Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: electrical help - fan, horn, blinkers, temp

Cruiser
    [QUOTE=Vombil;99550
    pos is 1x thick to starter and 1x thinner to alt input? There is a earth?? ( a very thin black wire) that comes out of the back of the alt (separate to thicker input) and runs back towards the starter and into the loom near firewall.

so i have 4. but not a -ve from batt to alt output[/QUOTE]

That's not quite correct.

The smaller red wire goes from the battery +ve to the alternator OUTPUT.

The alternator has its own earth thru its own metal case.

The very thin black wire that you mention is actually a brown wire & it is not an earth, it is the alternator light wire. It runs back into the harness to the "battery" light light in the instrument cluster.

Dr Terry

Banned
    There is no "earth" at coil for the instruments???? Are you sure that's an earth wire on the diagram and not the wire for the tacho on sports instruments?
    I think you are confused as to what an earth is and does?
    Earth wires are generally always the same colour in a harness, they all go to "earth" which will be a metal object that is in some way connected back to the neg battery terminal.
    I still recommend a test light. I can't work on anything that's 12V without one.
    I still don't know what's not working? If the handbrake light doesn't come on then it will most likely be the switch in the lever, not a wiring problem. Gauges not working is often the sender, unless they are all not working then you check in the dash wiring.
    I think you could have issues with using a red motor in a WB as well. They are not up to the emissions level of WB.

Quote Originally Posted by green taxi View Post
    silly question but re you using star washers on the body earth wires on rad support ? just had a problem with the earth on torana washers fixed it
    and star washers fixed it

from memory there is a star washer on the harness earth to a-pillar. no star washer on the rad support earth point which i will definitely try now so appreciate the tip
    BQZ

I know a dam good auto lecky if you need one

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    There is no "earth" at coil for the instruments???? Are you sure that's an earth wire on the diagram and not the wire for the tacho on sports instruments?
    I think you are confused as to what an earth is and does?
    Earth wires are generally always the same colour in a harness, they all go to "earth" which will be a metal object that is in some way connected back to the neg battery terminal.
    I still recommend a test light. I can't work on anything that's 12V without one.
    I still don't know what's not working? If the handbrake light doesn't come on then it will most likely be the switch in the lever, not a wiring problem. Gauges not working is often the sender, unless they are all not working then you check in the dash wiring.
    I think you could have issues with using a red motor in a WB as well. They are not up to the emissions level of WB.
    I only mentioned earth for instruments to coil as the VH V8 wiring diagram I had seen has one (i think - unless i cant read a wiring diagram which is quite likely).

Not working... still

Washer
    Horn - can hear relay clicking when horn depressed
    Reverse lights
    Heater fan switch- fan itself works
    temp gauge - engine bay wire not receiving 12V. it jumps up and down all over the place. HJ i have is constant 12V
    oil sender - not getting 12V at engine similar to temp & dummy light does not show on dash with key to accessories.
    handbrake warning on dash- i sprayed contact cleaner on the switch itself

could this issue at all be due to open circuits on the WB 6cyl harness I'm using? in the engine bay there is one that looks like emissions and another near vacc thing at front of rocker and one to the carby (if it were mounted to 6cyl)??

I cannot see any other harness earthing points that I could be missing. I've been right over the Old fellas WB and its unmodified original.
    BQZ

Banned
    As far as I am aware the oil pressure sender wire is an earth. The amount of pressure increases the resistance of the earth which makes the gauge work. So it should never be live. The sender is probably no good if the gauge isn't working.
    Go back to basics. Take out the globes in the tail lights. Use you test light to check if there is power there when it's in reverse with the ignition on.

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    As far as I am aware the oil pressure sender wire is an earth. The amount of pressure increases the resistance of the earth which makes the gauge work. So it should never be live. The sender is probably no good if the gauge isn't working.
    Go back to basics. Take out the globes in the tail lights. Use you test light to check if there is power there when it's in reverse with the ignition on.
    ive checked tail lights. no power to reverse but tails and brakes are fine. globes also tested.
    perhaps there is an oil sender on engine rather than a switch.
    so frustrating! I will buy the test light this arvo
    BQZ

Banned
    Mate it's just a game of elimination. I guess what Ian thinking is keep it simple. Trace the wires and see where the power is and where it stops.
    I had about five different goes at getting the driving lights working on my mrs car. I had fitted them and they had stopped working. Searched and searched. Eventually I realised there was power at the lights but no earth. The earth was tight on the rad support but as soon as I touched the bolt with a spanner they started working. Moral, earth looked perfect but it still needed a tweak to get a contact.

I forgot. I put another reverse switch from a commodore trans and i think they were slightly different in trigger length. i am not sure whats up
    BQZ

Before the problem started did you pull the instrument and steering column terminal blocks apart.

If so did you put them back together the same way, check you didn't swap them over assuming they are both the same (they are on the Torana).

I did this and couldn't understand why nothing worked when everything did before i pulled them apart, took me days to workout what i had done, it drove me insane till i sorted it.

I know it sounds silly but you never know.

Thread Information