Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: electrical help - fan, horn, blinkers, temp

9-11v is good with out engine running as there is a load on the circuits
    When we spoke on the phone you said there was NO POWER on the bottom left fuses
    You have multiple problems which need to be fixed one at a time and not worry about things that are working .
    WB ute has said that you have changed the column, was it another WB one or was it a late hx-z one ?
    They may have different ingnition switches due to the fact that WB runs electronic ignition too..
    Last edited by panoz78; 01-11-2015 at 01:23 AM.
    Regards
    Neil & Cherone

Fit a new fuse box.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Rob I don't think it's that bad ,it's probably more like wiring has been disturbed while he's been working on it and not realised it.
    It wouldn't be hard to knock a couple of plugs when changing the column.
    Regards
    Neil & Cherone

That's true. The lack of power to those fuses bothers me though. If the link in the fuse box is open circuit or has a corroded termination, the accessories on those fuses would behave much like he described. A new fuse box would be an easy thing to change and might just do the trick.

I hate intermittent faults like this.....
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

cheers Neil and Rob.

the column and harness are from same vehicle. yeah it's kinda hit and miss with the power to those bottom left two but then again the lights always work so maybe i'm tripping. the power reading got better and more consistent when I earthed the headlight switch rather than let it dangle.

with the fan I think i'm onto something. WB HAS A RELAY!

i was doing some googling and found a thread on Aussie V8. there is a 16amp ceramic fuse in the heater relay that has a history of blowing. I saw it today and said to myself 'i wonder what you do?' I have not idea how to even get it out to look at it.

so on the shopping list I have

16amp fuse
    temp sender.

stay tuned! oh shame i'm not a smoker as the ciggy lighter works a treat
    Last edited by Vombil; 01-11-2015 at 02:10 AM.
    BQZ

Banned
    I really think you need to put the multi meter in the cupboard. Forget voltages. Just because the meter can read them doesn't mean it's information you need to know.
    Test light is black and white. Power or no power. Is there power at fan? Yes? Then there is an issue with a component. No. There is an issue with wiring.
    Bypass the reverse switch. Do you now have power to lights? Yes? It's a light fitting or switch issue. No? It's a wiring issue.

seeing as the car runs why don't you take it to an auto electrician. All the time and headache you have spent an auto electrician would have had it fixed already.
    Just tell them exactly what u did before the problem started and they will sort it

Quote Originally Posted by matt.p View Post
    seeing as the car runs why don't you take it to an auto electrician. All the time and headache you have spent an auto electrician would have had it fixed already.
    Just tell them exactly what u did before the problem started and they will sort it
    If he wants to drive north for 6 hours, i'll happily look at it.
    BO6 = Rarer then a Sandman

i don't want to give up in working it all out. i have the parts to interchange that a sparky won't - also I have a bad track record paying them to find intermittent faults with no success. The advice I received last week from an old mate who is a auto sparky has so far been wrong.

neutral safety looks to be an earth type switch so i think i might have an earth problem there or on column. the switch itself works as the car won't start in gear, just the reverse lights don't... but they were! i will also swap back to the original switch in the trans as there was a slight difference.

BTW - i'm going to change my avatar location... I'm in WA!!!! its a little further than 6 hours

and WB, you're right. I'll buy a test light although I have bonded closely with my multi meter.
    Last edited by Vombil; 01-11-2015 at 10:34 AM.
    BQZ

Well Vombil just think by the time you have sorted everything out
    you'll be a self taught expert auto sparky
    And WB ute is right a test light is the best ,it's yes or no
    Last edited by panoz78; 01-11-2015 at 02:43 PM.
    Regards
    Neil & Cherone

Thread Information