Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: electrical help - fan, horn, blinkers, temp

electrical help - fan, horn, blinkers, temp

some advice tips help please

WB tonner

just dropped a 253 and trimatic in - was 6cyl manual. I have used a complete wb column trimatic wiring harness for conversion too.

blinkers and horn were working until I put GTS wheel on and/or new neutral safety switch. Tried a regular steering wheel again - no change. changed direction indicator switch/horn contact switch as horn contact was worn - no change. When I press horn pad I can hear the relay clicking but no horn noise.

heater fan and temp gauge are not working. Fan did not work pre conversion. I've tried other senders and gauge. I've also tried two other fan switches. Temp wire from harness jumps around all over the place from 1.3V to 9.5V with ignition on (don't know if this is abnormal).

have checked all fuses visually and all (except brake lights - bottom left two) seem to have 12V with ignition on.

i have a multi-mete but that's about were my tooling and skills end!

any suggestions would be appreciated
    BQZ

Vom, if you have changed 2 things [s/wheel and neutral sw] and put 1 back to as it was [ s/wheel ] maybe go back and check the neutral sw or put the old 1 back in. or maybe you have accidently disconnected something.....maybe

Something is loose or making a bad connection. Check EVERYTHING! Auto electrics never fail to amaze me with their quirks.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

safety switch was minced- it would start in any gear and rev lights would not work. new one works nicely but i think i reversed the purple plug from memory. this may have something to do with it but I will need to check the old mans original WB to be sure. anyways safety switch and rev lights are working perfectly now but were not prior
    BQZ

seems my post was absolutely shredded by far more interesting posts so, as they say in the internet realms... bump
    BQZ

Hard to pinpoint the problems in an electrical system without being there,
    all I can offer is something has come a drift. my suggestion would trace all the wiring you have changed,
    and double check every connection.
    Sorry I cant be of more help

Quote Originally Posted by Vombil View Post
    When I press horn pad I can hear the relay clicking but no horn noise.
    If the horn relay is clicking when the pad is pressed, it means that the relay is getting the earth from the horn pad. Therefore you MAY have a horn issue OR where it mounts to the nosecone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vombil View Post
    heater fan and temp gauge are not working. Fan did not work pre conversion. I've tried other senders and gauge. I've also tried two other fan switches. Temp wire from harness jumps around all over the place from 1.3V to 9.5V with ignition on (don't know if this is abnormal).
    Common issue for fan not working is the earth wire going to the fan body is loose.
    With the gauge, you may get that variance in voltage because of the pulses from the voltage stabaliser. Not sure now but I think if you earth the temp wire with a test light, the gauge will read hot.

- - - Updated - - -

Lastly, is the column a WB one (with hazard switch) or HX/HZ one?
    BO6 = Rarer then a Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by agr071 View Post
    If the horn relay is clicking when the pad is pressed, it means that the relay is getting the earth from the horn pad. Therefore you MAY have a horn issue OR where it mounts to the nosecone.

- - - Updated - - -

Common issue for fan not working is the earth wire going to the fan body is loose.
    With the gauge, you may get that variance in voltage because of the pulses from the voltage stabaliser. Not sure now but I think if you earth the temp wire with a test light, the gauge will read hot.

- - - Updated - - -

Lastly, is the column a WB one (with hazard switch) or HX/HZ one?

thanks heaps agro.

yes, WB column with hazard button (although it is temperamental and doesn't like to stick on without some convincing)

I'll clean earth on nosecone or maybe shift earth as the battery is also earthed to nose cone and i'm not exactly having a win at the moment.

NOTE: I put a fat ass +VE battery to starter cable on and the indicators started working again. I'm in the throws of making a -VE which is obviously even more critical. I'm hopeful for some miracles

I think the starter could be earthed better too - anyone have any tips or tricks with this? It's a smaller cheap as chinese type starter
    BQZ

Glad to help mate.
    Best thing to do is to put a decent earth straight to the stater mounting bolt, then a good one (not as big of course) straight to the nosecone. This will earth all lights and gauges.
    BO6 = Rarer then a Sandman

You're getting there....
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Thread Information