Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Part Number

Quote Originally Posted by RWK View Post
    Hi, Sandaro. A while before I ordered the van I worked for the local GM-H dealer, (Motors Pty Ltd), so I guess that helped with the purchase price of the van. I paid $7,490 with the options, which was about a grand cheaper than a Sandman. A list of the Options: AO1 - Tinted Glass, B30 – Carpet, CD4 – Intermittent Wipers, F72 – Heavy Duty Suspension, GU4 – 3.08-1 Diff Ratio, G80 – Limited Slip Diff, K96 – Heavy Duty 55 Amp Alternator, L31 – 308 Engine (Inc M21), M11 – Console, QEU – ER70H14 6 Ply Tyres, UA1 – Heavy Duty Battery, U17 – GTS Instruments, VF8 – Rubber Bump Strip, VO1 – Heavy Duty Radiator, XS6 – Bucket Seats, AK9 – Kingswood, TT5 – QI Head Lamps, JM8 – Rear Discs, N42 – Fast Steering Ratio. Now, I knew that the rear disc's wouldn't be fitted, but I ticked the box anyway. As far as the quick steering ratio goes, I didn't get that either, because from the time I placed the order (April '78) untill the time I recieved the car (August '78) that option had been deleted. The van is Tuxedo (black) with Slate (black-ish) interior, including a black full hoodlining. In the four months I waited I aquired a full set of rear disc's, including proportioning valve, a radio-cassette player, a sports steering wheel and a set of 8in Hotwires. When it was ten months old some scum-bag scratched every panel, even including the scuttle panel. The van is now being prepared for a full resto. Rob.

proper phat in the pants. what a rig!
    BQZ

tailtent cargobarrier.jpg

Here is the image. Thought it was pretty cool being on the same page as the tail tent.
    Owner (Jason) - STICKTHIS Automotive Decals and Stripes

HX Sandman Panelvan. Mint Julep. Complete Factory Resto.
    HZ Sandman Ute. Saddle Tan Metallic - Customised. Galaxy Blue.
    HZ GTS. Palais White. Next Resto From 99% NOS Parts.
    HSV GTO Coupe - Highly Modified
    VR SS into a VS Supercar Castrol Perkins Ingall 1997 Tribuilte build

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by RWK View Post
    Hi, Dr. Terry. I'm happy to stand corrected but I belive that A9K option turned a 'Holden' (8WM) previousley known as a Belmont, into a Kingswood in the commercial range, (70 and 80 exept 60 - one tonner). So, 8WM plus A9K = 8WN. I belive all 60,70 and 80 vehicles started life on their Production Broadcast Sheet as a 'Holden' (8WM). I think that's right, but like I said, I'm happy to be corrected. Rob.
    I doubt that very much. I have a 'mountain' of GM-H literature & I've not seen that before.

I've never seen a GM-H option number which made the car change its model code.

Dr Terry

The only time I've seen anything even remotely close to that was the VL wagons (8VL) upgraded to Calais (8VX - in spec only - the headlights, side molds, dash, wheels and complete interior upholstery) BUT without any change to the plated data. I know we did a couple of them at Packards' and a few more were known about the place at about the same time.

The biggest issue was the felt headlining and the rear seat upholstery if I remember and rear brakes on the NA RB30 wagons. While they were "optionable", I don't believe there was a specific build code for it.
    Nunc est bibendum...

This thing sounds awesome. Hope you've got some pictures you can share with us. Old or new, all pics are good

Cruiser
    The factory VL Calais wagon had the codes 8VL35 - A9Y.

8VL = Holden Berlina
    35 = wagon
    A9Y = option code to ID a Berlina wagon which has been upgrade to Calais trim level.

But you'll notice the basic model code does NOT change & the Calais wagon still has a Berlina model code, it doesn't change to 8VX (Calais).

The early Camira SL/E wagon was the same, it was an SL/X wagon with a V9Y code.

I still don't believe that A9K "changed" a 8WM commercial to an 8WN. A9K was Kingswood/Kingswood SL only.

Dr Terry
    Last edited by Dr Terry; 26-10-2015 at 08:05 AM.

Thread Information