Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine bay sound deadening mat

Engine bay sound deadening mat

Just wondering if my 77 HZ should have the sound dreading mat under the bonnet or not. Wasn't there when I got it but checking if it should be there.
    Thanks

As far as I know it was an option by the dealer. But don't quote me as I'm often wrong.
    I'm not sure if the ones that are available now are fibreglass with black matt coating as the original
    one was.

Option.... and not often taken up.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Thanks guys I think I will do without it if not required seemed a bit of a fire hazard to me

Cruiser
    I bought one of the ones from rare spares and it's not fibreglass like the original but still looks and fits ok.

I don't really see the sound absorption benefit but fitted it to prevent too much extra heat being applied to the bonnet, I figured the paint could deteriorate faster from the engine heat.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat7051 View Post
    Thanks guys I think I will do without it if not required seemed a bit of a fire hazard to me
    If its not fibreglass then I would want to see some test results for its fire rating.

Leadfoot
    All the under bonnet insulation kits have been tested and comply to the US standard FMVSS302. They come with clips and fasteners as per original style. Fibreglass material used previously is no longer available and required special health and safety requirements when used in production.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gregbark View Post
    All the under bonnet insulation kits have been tested and comply to the US standard FMVSS302. They come with clips and fasteners as per original style. Fibreglass material used previously is no longer available and required special health and safety requirements when used in production.
    Did you try wool? Excellent insulator, fire resistant, Australian product. I imagine it would work well.

Leadfoot
    We found it hard for the sheep to stay in place when the engine was running. I suspect that shearing them would be the way to go.

Leadfoot
    According to the HZ parts books all models had the silencer listed as a part, it doesn't show it as an option. section 8.009 part 2812211 and clip 3934260 x 16 qty (which is now the Rare Spares part H1294 as a complete kit) The newer material offers better sound absorption, reduced weight and no itchy glass fibres. They use thermoplastic heat resistant fibre technology as required on the cars being built today. Unfortunately some materials and processes used in the past cannot be replicated due to OH&S factors in place now.

Thread Information