Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BigRobs HZ Sandman....

Thank you all!

I'd love to reply to each one of you individually but I think you all understand how happy I am. Donna and I will be attending as many events as we can starting on the 28/29th of November at the South Coast Nationals in nearby Moruya. We're also taking our blue LC Torana so should have a cool display.
    I'm keeping my white van, it's what got me back into vanning and although it still needs paint it's a bit more of a daily driver while still being cool, plus it doesn't really owe me that much and I don't need to sell it.
    I spent a few hours today tidying up the engine bay and touching up the inner guards with a fresh coat of black.

Yeah the cop thing was hilarious! We drove out of the car park straight into an RBT. The female cop waived me in and all I could do was laugh. She wondered what was wrong when I told her I'd just bought the van and hadn't even got it in 3rd gear before being pulled over. She was cool anyway and I was soon on the way home. Passed a few cops on the drive but no dramas. I filled the tank in Batemans Bay and spent ten minutes answering questions from customers at the servo. Best comment...... " Mate, there's a bloke that drives a white van around here that's gunna be jealous when he sees this one!" I didn't have the heart to tell him he was talking about me.

Anyway.... back to the shed to sit and stare at it for a while. I'm really lucky to have this and lucky to have a bunch of friends that are happy for me.
    Thanks again.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Nice ride mate. Great addition to the family.

Congratulations.... What a sweet thing

11011991_1522203491431005_3848395615302296068_n.jpgA bit of a tidy up in the engine bay on a wet day when it was quiet in the shop. New air filter, a bit of polish on the rocker covers, some plug wire separators and some Armorall on the hoses, rubber and plastic bits. It's hard to find things to do on something that has had such a high level of work done already.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Banned
    Fill it up with fish oil.

On topic.
    Great purchase of a great car from tow of the most genuine lovely people in the car world I have met.

So Rob what are you planning to do with the car, as this is the Showroom thread it is yours to show and share your pride and joy.

Thanks for that Blocker.

As most regulars on here know the van and the high standard of it's build, there's not much for me to do. Rod and Jennie had left the engine bay in it's original condition and as I've already mentioned it's getting a bit of a tidy up. Almost 40 years of use (& not a lot of misuse it seems) has just left a few bits of paint that need some attention so I've cleaned, lightly sanded and repainted some areas. I've also wrapped the wiring in the convoluted tubing that most modern cars have to give it a bit more insulation and (in my opinion) make it look neater.

The future may see a 600 Holley and manifold (and I'll check the wear on the cam), but otherwise the engine will remain as is.

I have a set of 8" GTS wheels (thanks Taily) that I'm in the process of restoring and I may fit a pair of them to the rear with some 245/60 T/A's, but leave the front alone. A slight height reduction is the only other possible change that I can see happening.

I love this van and because of it's originality I'm not screwing with it..... I've got my WB for that if I decide to.

Hey Rob,

not picking at you or anything, it's your van and you can do what you want to it...... but.... why put a 600 Holley and manifold on it??? Unless Holley's have changed since I was playing with them you will need to install a choke cable as they are manual chokes as against the Stromberg which is auto choke. I have found a properly reconditioned and correctly set up Stromberg to be as good as, if not better than an aftermarket Holley on a stock Holden V8, easier to start and more economical. I have also found that a 600 Holley is too large for a stock 308 unless you jet it down... in which case, what's the point.

My HJ Sandman currently has a 600 Holley and Edelbrock manifold on it and I'm considering swapping the carb for a correct HJ Stromberg setup. I do like the manifold though, breaths better. As a side note, you can't fit the original aircleaner assembly to a Holley either without serious modification so you lose the original look of the car.

I have bought a correct HJ Stromberg and aircleaner assembly if I decide to go that way... have also bought a HZ aircleaner which I can modify to look like a HJ one and cut to fit the Holley if I want to leave the engine mostly as found....
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Banned
    I reckon the main thing you need to do is some major rust prevention. Moving it to the coast is going to inevitably start some cancer. As it's a totally rust free van I would make that number one priority.

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    I reckon the main thing you need to do is some major rust prevention. Moving it to the coast is going to inevitably start some cancer. As it's a totally rust free van I would make that number one priority.
    I agree... I used to fisholene all my cars inside and out... nowadays not so much.

Only problem is to get to one of the bad rust spots in a Sandman you have to remove the headlining.... the rest is pretty easy to do and just involves removing the inner panels and door trim.
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Thread Information