Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: BigRobs HZ Sandman....

What engine and box is in your van Rob

253 aussie 4 speed power. It purred like a kitten up the mountain. Im shattered you brought it mate. haha! Reason. I wanted to drive it again at the next van nats lmao!
    Owner (Jason) - STICKTHIS Automotive Decals and Stripes

HX Sandman Panelvan. Mint Julep. Complete Factory Resto.
    HZ Sandman Ute. Saddle Tan Metallic - Customised. Galaxy Blue.
    HZ GTS. Palais White. Next Resto From 99% NOS Parts.
    HSV GTO Coupe - Highly Modified
    VR SS into a VS Supercar Castrol Perkins Ingall 1997 Tribuilte build

600 Holley on a 253 will be to big Rob honestly Edelbrock performer manifold with a 450 Holley with a nice mild cam would be the go had this combo many years ago on a Kingswood van went quite well

Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    600 Holley on a 253 will be to big Rob honestly Edelbrock performer manifold with a 450 Holley with a nice mild cam would be the go had this combo many years ago on a Kingswood van went quite well
    Frostman will vouch for the 450. 600 is too big for sure. quaddy off a 253 blue motor will look the part
    BQZ

DSC03460.JPGDSC03458.JPGDSC03455.JPGThanks for all your suggestions, rust won't be an issue.... I'll take the necessary precautions, but I haven't had rust issues with any of my other cars either. I think if you keep them clean and dry in a garage it's not a problem.
    The 600 Holley thing is interesting I've heard a lot of criticism of the 253/600 Holley combo on here and other places but I've built quite a few in the past that have run really well. Jetting is important, as it is in every case, but the secondary spring is the big secret. a stronger spring slows the secondaries opening, thus keeping the air speed through the venturies high. It essentially works like a 2bbl until you need the extra air and fuel. It requires a good set of headers and a free flowing exhaust and works better on a manual than an auto (athough I had an auto behind one that was very quick). Anyway, I have a 600 and manifold sitting on the shelf and it's only going to cost a set of inlet manifold gaskets to try it and see. Won't be happening real soon.... I'm happy with how it's going right now.

I had a little play with suspension height yesterday and think I nailed it...
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Banned
    I would be swapping that proxy two barrel carb too. I would have used a quadrajjet but sounds like you know what you are doing.

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Vombil View Post
    Frostman will vouch for the 450. 600 is too big for sure. quaddy off a 253 blue motor will look the part
    465 four barrel. I had a 500 and 350 on it before. Not so good.

Yeah, a 465 is a good size. A Quadrajet is a lot bigger, but works ok on a 253 because of the very small primaries. It's all about setting them up properly. A 350 Holley 2bbl works well too, but doesn't have the top end of a 465 or 600 4bbl because there are no secondaries.

As I said, I have the 600 and a huge supply of jets and secondary springs, so when I do get around to doing it, that will be my starting point. It goes real well at the moment, so I'm in no hurry. One rainy day sometime in the future I'll have a play with it.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

That is one sweet ride you got there Rob, you must be very very pleased

Yep you got the ride height spot on it was a bit 4x4 before

- - - Updated - - -

No offence to RJB

Thread Information