Thread: Threading rear tail light harness through body

Threading rear tail light harness through body

So I have been trying to thread my rewired rear harness through the beaver panel with no luck. I've tried running fencing wire through first no luck, then some ridged hose no luck. Is there a trick to this? also what about getting the number plate wire through. Surely there is an easy way?
    1974 HQ Belmont panelvan

Quote Originally Posted by hogvan View Post
    So I have been trying to thread my rewired rear harness through the beaver panel with no luck. I've tried running fencing wire through first no luck, then some ridged hose no luck. Is there a trick to this? also what about getting the number plate wire through. Surely there is an easy way?
    I don't know of any secret method, but agree there SHOULD be an easier way. Maybe try the tongue from yellow tongue board (or similar), stiff enough to force but will bend a bit. Know sparkies use this

Its called a sparkies snake

i think if you maybe use a garden hose with a screw driver butt at the end it will bounce off any snags. i used this method on saturday to feed a tank breather line through the water drain in tray of VS ute. with the beaver light I imagine you might use a coat hanger from the outside then attached the beaver light wire and pull it back out??

i think the snake would work best and they are cheap but it's all about MacGyver style improvisation for me
    BQZ

Use a fairly stiff (suggest welding wire as it is quite stiff without being too heavy) wire (or as someone suggested yellow tongue strip) to feed, just make sure you put a small (upwards) kink in about the first two inches you feed through. This will overcome the two spots that tend to snag the pull through. Just tape your wire to the end. For the number plate wire you may need to snag that with a bit of welding wire with a small hook on it. A bit of dicking around but not overly difficult.
    Nunc est bibendum...

This is actually easier to do than explain, as a 30 year Telco install tech the mousing of wires and cables in tight spaces is second nature. To get left hand tail light wires and the number plate light wire through successfully you will have to do the mousing with the fencing wire or yellow tongue from the left side of the vehicle. Firstly get a large/long zip tie, make a loop by just starting to do up the tie, now fold it in half and feed it through the hole for the numberplate wire and push it all in so it forms a loop inside the beaver panel. Take off the running light above the bumper and feed your wire or yellow tongue through the hole and down into the beaver cavity, keep feeding until it comes out the other end, Having it go in through the running light hole makes it straighter than trying to do a u bend from inside the quarter and you have more control when pushing it through. As you feed it in you can feel if it hits an obstacle, having it straighter means that you can twist it to avoid snagging, if you use wire, you can bent it like a crank handle and rotate it to clear obstructions. When you can see the end at the drivers side of the beaver panel, pull on the zip tie in the number plate light hole and if you have done it right the mouse should be caught in the loop of the tie, if it isn't pull the wire back and redo the loop and try again. You need the wire to feed through the loop in the zip tie. If it is caught in the zip tie pull it up into the quarter, go to the other end and tape 2 (TWO) lengths of electrical wire to it making sure they are different colours. Now pull the wire through the beaver panel until the two wires are all the way through and the ends are in the quarter. Attach one wire to the loom and one to the number plate light wire, using the zip tie, pull a loop of the wires out the number plate wire hole and cut the zip tie. Pull the wire attached to the number plate wire all the way out and from the left side of the car pull the wire attached to the tail light loom all the way to the left. Your wires should be through to the right places now. I did say it was easier to do than explain!!!
    HQ Glacier White Belmont Ute
    Wanted Lanspeed accessories for Holden Grey engines, twin carb manifolds, extractors, rocker cover, 3 speed floor shift.

Wow, thanks for the reply guys I will give Dick61 in depth instructions a crack, Thanks
    1974 HQ Belmont panelvan

Rather than use fencing wire etc I use the inner drive cable from a speedo as a snake to get wires through works a treat.

All done guys thanks for the ideas
    1974 HQ Belmont panelvan

P Plater
    I found string and compressed air shot the string front one side to the other , had to kink the hose and use no attachments to get a good blast but worked effectively

Thread Information