Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: My XX7 HQ Sandman van

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuss View Post
    I've got a 7/74 HQ Sandman Ute, Kingswood, chrome yellow...patiently awaiting resto, Dandenong build 253/M20
    the swap meet "jackpot"

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsandman View Post
    the swap meet "jackpot"
    they'll be talking about the 'one that got away' for years to come
    BQZ

Was looking at getting my tailgate struts chromed but don`t want to ruin the rubber. What do other people do. Just paint them ? IMG_0601 (Medium).JPGIMG_0603 (Medium).JPGIMG_0604 (Medium).JPG

Try rubbing them back with steel wool for the original style finish. That surface rust and overpay should come off without too much trouble

Chroming won't affect the rubber, just leave it in place.
    I did mine on my HK back when I worked at a chrome platers and I was concerned too, but the boss just said to chuck them in the tanks and it'll be fine and it was.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Would gettting them rezinced affect the rubber

Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    Would gettting them rezinced affect the rubber
    No. It's all electroplating and the process doesn't effect rubber. That said, you won't get any plating under the rubber either.
    Also worth noting is to get a shine on nickel, chrome, copper or brass the steel needs to be linished and polished and this is where damage can be done to the rubber if caught by the belts or mop.

Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    No. It's all electroplating and the process doesn't effect rubber. That said, you won't get any plating under the rubber either.
    Also worth noting is to get a shine on nickel, chrome, copper or brass the steel needs to be linished and polished and this is where damage can be done to the rubber if caught by the belts or mop.
    Gas struts it is for me i know i know not original but those metal struts are crap

Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    Gas struts it is for me i know i know not original but those metal struts are crap
    Yeah. I have gas struts on the WB and it's so simple to open and close with one hand. The originals can be a pain for sure, especially when wearing out.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Thanks guys. I was thinking about gas struts but I do like how you can latch them half way up with the originals.

Thread Information