Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taily's Kingswood Sandman ute

Taily's Kingswood Sandman ute

Hopefully this displays better...

https://vimeo.com/146515490
    Last edited by Taily; 22-11-2015 at 11:28 AM. Reason: added link for mobile users while I sort mobile access to the vids
    Nunc est bibendum...

Love the color,like looking in a mirror looking good and sounds sweet.
    Help me

Banned
    Sounds like it's got a fair size cam in it. Looks good.
    Last edited by wbute; 22-11-2015 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Typo

Great to see it on the road Dave

Cool, Tuff, Hot.... all of them!

That's a ute any of us would love to own.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Sounds tough, looks good, congrats on all the hard work. This the one you painted yourself (twice)?.

Was that the last time you saw it? Imagine if the missus never came back. Haha

Cheers for the positive comments, much appreciated. Much of the build was a huge step out out of my comfort zone except for the mechanical stuff as it is my trade.

Yep, I had to paint it twice as the first batch of paint (from a supplier in Newcastle) unbeknown to me, made that batch of paint with a clear base rather than white like it was supposed to be. I was unaware of this (I'm no spray painter but I was giving it a red hot go) and as I built my own full sized booth (yep, you guessed it, I built it using black impact plastic, which was the wrong thing to do as it placed too much reliance on the lighting to 'see' the paint as it went on - rather than indirect illumination to see those lower or 'hard to see' areas such as under cheatlines, across the roof etc).

The first coat of jam looked great under the halogen lights I was using, it was only when I pulled it out into the daylight the next morning I realised the paint was translucent and looked more like it was flourescent yellow. The air around me when I found out was a deep shade of blue... After all of my spare time for a month or so rubbing it back again I was able to get back to it and re-base coated in white and got some local (Sydney) sourced 2pak Absinth yellow. This second job actually turned out much better as I was getting better results with the spray gun I was using as I was getting used to it. The finish is straight off the gun, with a little bit of peel to take the edge of that '2 pak' hard gloss look.

Unfortunately I've lost a heap of pics from a hard drive failure but here is a few odd ones from the build. I'll add more as I find them

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

image.jpg
    Nunc est bibendum...

My apologies for the iphone pics, but these are pics of the booth I made, complete with draw though ventilation (industrial ducted fan) and modding the Edelbrock Torquer manifold to fit the vac/heat riser auto choke. It is also wise to keep the ball'n'chain on board and if she offers to help, then who am I to argue?

A couple of pics on the engine dyno where the engine was run-in and then set-up the timing and mixture curves then it was dyno'd where it punched out around 350hp/350ftlbs, which was right on the brief.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

More to come.
    Last edited by Taily; 23-11-2015 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Text
    Nunc est bibendum...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Taily View Post
    It is also wise to keep the ball'n'chain on board and if she offers to help, then who am I to argue?

image.png
    You could have at least picked a photo of me where I didn't look pregnant!

Oh, wait....

A couple of shots during the paint process, you can see the yellow rubbed back to put the right colour on it. The dyno sheet and a couple pics of the Dynamat and Focal insulation I fitted to the cabin and doors during the build.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png
    Last edited by Taily; 23-11-2015 at 09:40 PM.
    Nunc est bibendum...

Thread Information