Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tail light surrounds

Leadfoot

Tail light surrounds

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone knows what to use on the tail light surrounds must be some sort of sickaflex or something on the locating poles? thanks in advance cheers

Sounds about right to me. I haven't changed a set yet but anything that keeps moisture out will work.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Sandman Driver
    Don't they have a sorta small cone shaped plastic grommet for each pole? I seem to remember there's something like that, maybe check the Rares catalog?

Hi Hilta;

there should be metal sleeves - rectangular shaped with rounded ends, that fit in the body holes to hold the trims (similar idea to the inserts that hold the body badge pins). I didn't notice them when removing the trims & lost a few. Rares didn't sell them at the time so I visited a wrecker a found a few still attached to old trims.

If the correct sleeves are used the trims fit tightly and there's no need for sikaflex.

Yep, they have a metal sleeve/retainer that holds the lug on the back of the trim firmly in each hole. They are also sealed with normal garden variety body putty (usually non hardening and the same stuff that you use to seal the front window channel into the front door). This stops any water from entering the body and settling inside the lower guards. It is still readily available at parts stores but at a pinch you could get away with silicone based sealer but I would stay away from acidic cure silastic (use nuetral cure, in fact it is never a great idea to use anything with silicone in it anywhere near paint but sometimes you've got to....) as it will eventually etch through the paint and start acting on the metal surrounding the holes in the body.
    Nunc est bibendum...

Leadfoot
    Thanks guys, one more question, do all the surrounds fit or do you need to somehow reshape them to fit the body shape? thanks again

They should all fit as long as there is no bog where they need to go

Leadfoot
    thanks everyone

Plumbers roof and gutter silicon will not cause rust bathroom and window will if it smells acidic or like vinegar don't use it sikaflex or t-Rex are fine and the best to use

Sandman Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by hilta View Post
    Thanks guys, one more question, do all the surrounds fit or do you need to somehow reshape them to fit the body shape? thanks again
    The lugs on the surrounds are pretty brittle, I've seen a few with one or two lugs broken off, and silicone used to hold a corner etc, you want the lugs all lining up nice and straight with the holes, if one or more have to even slightly bend to fit in, under even mild tension, then the ones under tension will very easily, and (I think) usually, snap off, thus defeating the purpose of tryna get it right. Not a biggy, but these parts are getting less common now.

P.S. Thanks to Nocturne and Taily (above) for correcting my memory regarding those fasteners. I wonder if Rares could do em, these would seem so cheap to manufacture, but, if Rares are are watching I reckon an even better option would be an improved aftermarket tail light surround with threaded lugs. !!

Thread Information