Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: dual headlights

Quote Originally Posted by maxsandman View Post
    Not with Hella 5 3/4" dual head lights. The factory HZ's had 4 single H1 globes in their Prem or G.T.S. fronts with quartz halogen lights

cheers
    Max
    But the wiring is set up for twin filament globes on the outer lights isn't it? My untouched HZ is. When you activate the high beam switch it deactivates the low beam circuit.

Edit. Maybe mine has been touched. There are scotch lock connectors going to the high beam on outer light. If the OP's car has had this same conversion then he will need to undo the wiring modification, which no doubt incorporates a relay somewhere.
    Last edited by playwme; 18-01-2016 at 08:51 AM.

Leadfoot
    Mine is only set up for the single filament, I was going to cut and shut to fit the twin filament but apparently then the relays etc have to be upgraded.

Quote Originally Posted by hilta View Post
    Hi Again, Hope you don't mind me asking more questions, Ok I have the lights in, It is a HZ Sandman so it has the dual headlight front, has single pin globes in all 4 lights, I have all 4 lights working but not at the same time, the 2 outer lights come on correct, then when you put them on high, the whole 4 work until I let the dimmer stork go, then the 2 outer lights go off and the 2 inners stay on as they should, but the 2 outer ones are off. the steering wheel is off at the moment so not sure if that is effecting anything or not, hope this makes sense, any ideas what I should look at? The stork? Earth? or Relay? Cheers
    The problem is not with your indicator/dimmer switch, it is with your wiring loom. You should have high and low beam in the outer two lights and the inner ones should only work on high beam. The set up you have at the moment is that the outers only work on low beam and the inners only on high beam, although you should find that the outers are actually single filament high beam lights. When you use the flasher on the indicator stalk both beams are activated but only while the stalk is pulled back. This is correct whether you have twin or single headlights, to have your lights operating correctly you need to change your outer lights to high/low beam lights and correct the wiring loom to suit. If it doesn't already have one, it is a good idea to fit a relay to operate the highbeams.
    HQ Glacier White Belmont Ute
    Wanted Lanspeed accessories for Holden Grey engines, twin carb manifolds, extractors, rocker cover, 3 speed floor shift.

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick61 View Post
    The problem is not with your indicator/dimmer switch, it is with your wiring loom. You should have high and low beam in the outer two lights and the inner ones should only work on high beam. The set up you have at the moment is that the outers only work on low beam and the inners only on high beam, although you should find that the outers are actually single filament high beam lights. When you use the flasher on the indicator stalk both beams are activated but only while the stalk is pulled back. This is correct whether you have twin or single headlights, to have your lights operating correctly you need to change your outer lights to high/low beam lights and correct the wiring loom to suit. If it doesn't already have one, it is a good idea to fit a relay to operate the highbeams.
    Factory HZ dual headlights only have a single filament globe in all 4 beams. The outer (low beam) is on for both low & high beam, while the inner comes on for high beam only. BTW from the factory, HZ duals already have a relay on the high beam.

Dr Terry

Leadfoot
    Thanks Dr Terry, that confirms what I had heard, any ideas what to look for with what mine is doing at the moment? cheers

Hey hilta, did you try another switch? Im sure I had that same problem & it was the switch

cheers
    Max

Leadfoot
    will try one today if I get time,cheers

Leadfoot
    I tried another switch today, still the same so either I have 2 faulty switches or something else is wrong

P Plater
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick61 View Post
    You are correct Dick, this taken directly from the HZ Holden Owner Manual and I quote:

"FOUR HEADLAMP SYSTEM"
    "Operating the dipper switch alternates the light beams on the outer two headlamps between low and high beam. The inner two headlamps operate only when high beam is selected."

So from that, the outer two headlamps would be double filament and the inners single. Obviously you would have to have the matching wiring loom etc and presumably any other differences between two headlamp models and four headlamp models would be built into the electrical system.

Quote Originally Posted by hilta View Post
    I tried another switch today, still the same so either I have 2 faulty switches or something else is wrong
    You could have another dud switch, I'd be eliminating the switch completely before you go hacking at the wiring. Does the switch have 2 separate positions (2 clicks from the micro switch) if you pull it s-l-o-w-l-y forward you can hear 2 individual clicks. One click is flash and the second is dip. Im pretty sure that will be the problem, & only trying to give advice & up to you if you take it. These cars DEFINATELY had 4 single bulbs from original. Ive been out watching country music &had a dozen Bourbons, so hope this makes sense.

cheers
    Max

Thread Information