Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dual headlights

Leadfoot

dual headlights

Hi , what are people using in the dual headlight fronts? sealed beam or quartz halogen? I tried some sealed beam ones but they are loose as in the stainless holder, are there any good brand ones to use for better fit? cheers Mark

Learner Driver
    Hi Mark
    I would recommend Hella Halogen lights, the performance over sealed beams is dramatic
    Mark B

Sandman Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by hilta View Post
    Hi , what are people using in the dual headlight fronts? sealed beam or quartz halogen? I tried some sealed beam ones but they are loose as in the stainless holder, are there any good brand ones to use for better fit? cheers Mark
    I would imagine that if your sealed beam units are sitting loosely in the stainless/chromed retaining ring that goes around the outside rim of the lens and holds the unit in place then something is wrong there, are you sure they are the correct size sealed beam unit? If so, is it possible they are not the correct retaining rings, or they have been bent or damaged somehow?

Just that, if so, then you may have the same issue with halogen units.... and that could all get a bit pricey. If you cant work it out, it's probably worth a photo of the set up you've got, the lamps would normally sit in the retainers nice and snug of course.

I don't know offhand what size they are (I've only had to replace one from memory and it fit straight out of the box) - too dark and rainy to go and measure atm! lol
    Last edited by SLR_dave; 05-01-2016 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Syntax Error

Leadfoot
    Thanks guys, I had hella quartz and they fit nice and tight in the chrome ring, these new sealed beam are loose in the ring and don't seem to fit in the locating lugs either, just wonder if different brands may fit, will just order new hella ones I think. cheers

Leadfoot
    Hi Again, Hope you don't mind me asking more questions, Ok I have the lights in, It is a HZ Sandman so it has the dual headlight front, has single pin globes in all 4 lights, I have all 4 lights working but not at the same time, the 2 outer lights come on correct, then when you put them on high, the whole 4 work until I let the dimmer stork go, then the 2 outer lights go off and the 2 inners stay on as they should, but the 2 outer ones are off. the steering wheel is off at the moment so not sure if that is effecting anything or not, hope this makes sense, any ideas what I should look at? The stork? Earth? or Relay? Cheers

Sounds like the blinker/dimmer combination switch. The switch should have 2 "micro" positions when you pull the stork forward. Sometimes when those switches expire, they lose 1 position. Id try another switch first. Hope this helps

cheers
    Max

Leadfoot
    thanks mate, will try another one tomorrow,cheers

Sounds like wrong globes. Outers should have a twin filament globe.

Quote Originally Posted by playwme View Post
    Sounds like wrong globes. Outers should have a twin filament globe.
    Not with Hella 5 3/4" dual head lights. The factory HZ's had 4 single H1 globes in their Prem or G.T.S. fronts with quartz halogen lights

cheers
    Max

Quote Originally Posted by maxsandman View Post
    Not with Hella 5 3/4" dual head lights. The factory HZ's had 4 single H1 globes in their Prem or G.T.S. fronts with quartz halogen lights

cheers
    Max
    Mine had that but I changed it to take the standard semi sealed beams with H4 globes.
    BO6 = Rarer then a Sandman

Thread Information