Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has NBN arrived at your place as yet?

Has NBN arrived at your place as yet?

Has anyone had it installed into they premises as yet?

Just wondering if anyone had any dramas with the installation contractors from their provider. I have been reading some of the install guidelines that the contractor goes by along with the customer guidelines booklet we as a customer should read. After having useless phone calls and equally useless emails from 'customer service' from NBN, I find the install procedure murky at best.

Find a provider, Telstra/Optus etc, sign up then an installer arrives. You discuss where you want the internal wall unit. NBN say the installer will decide on the day where best to place the device. Basically, if it is not where I want it, tough lollies. NBN states that if I want the box moved and not left where the installer wants it, I will have the opportunity to get in an electrician to install conduit, drill through walls etc so the cable can be layed upon the contractors return = $$$$.

Anyone have dramas as yet?

Thanks

Maysik.

I have just asked the same question to a private installer that works for the same builder i do
    apparently they do tell you what the best place is for you
    if you dont like it as you say tough titties
    i have the box on the outside wall off my house just haven't connected up yet either

I've been told that it won't be installed in my area ever!
    Country towns and difficult to access areas are expected to get wireless it seems....
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

I've had NBN installed for nearly a year now and no problems with installer or performance.

Prior to NBN I was on ADSL2, my ADSL cost was $75 per month and I got 250gb of data at 5mb/s download and 2mb/s upload speed.
    In comparison with the NBN with the same provider I am paying $75 per month and I get 500gb of data with the speeds of 50mb/s down and 20mb/s up. I don't know why you would not go NBN if you have access to it.

Installation was good process for me, 3 contractors turned up and they asked me where they want the external box mounted. They were happy to help out and install it down the side of the house (an extra 20m of cable - no additional cost). I was up and running in a couple hours.

It is the way to go, that info on speeds is pretty impressive.

Leadfoot
    NBN.jpg make sure they don't install it like this one where the tap can't turn because of the box.

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post
    I've been told that it won't be installed in my area ever!
    Country towns and difficult to access areas are expected to get wireless it seems....
    I have this wire less NBN and it works a treat. 50 down 25 up and I can get 250 a month. In real terms, my kids can watch 4 seperate movies at the same time. Calculated real speed is over 20000 times faster than I had before. Brilliant. Pity I have no chance of getting TV since Digital started.

Quote Originally Posted by gregbark View Post
    NBN.jpg make sure they don't install it like this one where the tap can't turn because of the box.
    Thats gold,i needed a good morning laugh

I saw this on facebook last week. If you think about it, I reckon it was the plumber or the home handyman.

When installing the box the door is open to fix it to the wall... how could he close the door after fixing it? More likely the tap was installed last.

Yes, NBN arrived about 12mths ago. Telstra..... No problems. One bloke. Took around an hour or two and was up and running. A lot depends on the type of house i.e. Low set, multi-story, concrete or timber floor, VJ, stud frame or masonry walls etc. etc. I have seen the inside boxes (whatever they are called) located in some stupid positions in lounge rooms and kitchens and they look fugly. They do this because it's the easiest way for the installer and mainly because they don't give a ...k. I have a timber floor and had the bloke run the cables under the house and up into the broom cupboard in the laundry. You don't even know it's there. Don't let them put it over you is my advice.

image.jpg

image.jpg
    Last edited by davegmh; 02-03-2016 at 10:49 AM.
    Disclaimer: I am not an expert.

Thread Information