Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Correct Wheel Nuts for GTS wheels.

never seen the full chrome type... ever!
    BQZ

My dad's HJ (original) has the dished type ones that I think Absinth is identifying as HQ, except the dish cap is now faded silvery colour- not sure if black when new or not

Quote Originally Posted by Sandaro View Post
    My dad's HJ (original) has the dished type ones that I think Absinth is identifying as HQ, except the dish cap is now faded silvery colour- not sure if black when new or not
    i had a TOTALLY STOCK 1975 HJ premier with Gts wheels and it had the black type. all wheels are correct for vintage of vehicle so I can assume the nuts, as rusty as they were, were also correct - this topic definitely needs more exploration
    Last edited by Vombil; 02-03-2016 at 02:43 PM.
    BQZ

Quote Originally Posted by Absinth View Post
    Well Rob, I have been wondering why you were so adamant on the HQ GTS nuts as I know your van had the correct ones on it..... However looking at the pics you have posted, it now has the HQ ones on it.... Rod has obviously swapped the HQ Rare Spares ones off his Yellow van for the correct original ones that were on the red van before he sold it to you..... I used to bag him out all the time for having HQ nuts on his yellow van.

Check out the link to your van posted when Rod and Jennie picked it up....

http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/s...adeira-Red-Van
    We didn't swap the Yellow van HQ rare nuts off the Red van, the Red van has HQ wheel nuts which we purchased from a guy who Greg from Ozwreck recommended, at The All holden day swap, so both vehicles have HZ wheel nuts but big robs red van doesn't have rares one on it, but yellow van does have rare spare ones. One day we will put correct on Yellow van, but we do like the black ones anyhow.
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

As written up in the genuine parts manuals

HQ
    NUT - WHEEL Hub Bolt
    NUT ..................... Rally Type Wheel ..............2825904......20

HJ
    NUT - WHEEL Hub Bolt
    NUT ..................... Rally Type Wheel ..............2825904......20

HX
    NUT - WHEEL Hub Bolt
    NUT ..................... Rally, Polycast Type Wheel ..............9939942......20

HZ
    NUT - WHEEL Hub Bolt
    NUT ..................... Rally, Polycast Type Wheel ..............9939942......20

Interestingly the diagrams HQ to HZ all show the black cap version.

My HJ parts manual lists

NUT - WHEEL Hub Bolt

So, was this a part change sometime during the HJ range similar to the change in GTS facia's from silver to black. I always thought the nut change was so they could be used with both the Rally and Polycast rims but the Polycast rim was available from the start of the HJ run.

Thanks for the info Innuendo, I'm very happy to know the Black cap nut is probably correct for my early 75 HJ. Now just need to narrow down the change over date. Would be interesting to know what LH Torana parts catalogue lists.

4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

My HJ parts manual lists

NUT - WHEEL Hub Bolt

So, was this a part change sometime during the HJ range similar to the change in GTS facia's from silver to black. I always thought the nut change was so they could be used with both the Rally and Polycast rims but the Polycast rim was available from the start of the HJ run.

Thanks for the info Innuendo, I'm very happy to know the Black cap nut is probably correct for my early 75 HJ. Now just need to narrow down the change over date. Would be interesting to know what LH Torana parts catalogue lists.

Do these parts manuals have dates of publication as a point of comparison? The HJ I referred to earlier is late, 4/76.

My HJ parts manual lists

NUT - WHEEL Hub Bolt

I'd say that's a fair call. I don't have any Torana manuals but yes that would be helpful.
    Shouldn't be too hard to find all the manuals and compare.

Seems there were amendments and revision lists for the HJ in October '74 and again in April '75 (My guess the wheel nut change happened in the latter).

Quote Originally Posted by Sandaro View Post
    Do these parts manuals have dates of publication as a point of comparison? The HJ I referred to earlier is late, 4/76.
    My HJ manual is missing the cover where the date would be. But on the diagram of the Rally Wheel and Polycast (Honeycomb) Wheel it is mentioned (Revised October 1974) So this issue is likely late '74 early '75. It also refers to the Polycast simply as 7" Wheel.
    Last edited by Innuendo; 02-03-2016 at 10:59 PM.

LH Torana SL/R wheels had the nuts with the black centre..... or at least that's what I remember.

Seriously though, I think we all get a bit carried away sometimes with what is "original" to a certain model. The fact is that since these vans were built in quite a few different places, the slight differences in parts fitted is to be expected.
    Nobody on a production line would think twice about fitting the bits available instead of the "correct" bits if it was going to hold things up, and as Absinth stated, "I've never seen the chrome ones".... I have to agree. At least with respect to the rally wheels. The polycast definitely had the chrome, but they were pretty rare back then.
    Like I said earlier, I remember seeing thousands of the nuts with the black centre being made at TRW.... I didn't think anything of it because they were simply Holden wheel nuts and they could have very easily been for spare parts, but that was 1978, so they were going somewhere.

Catalogues can be deceiving too.... what may be originally decided to be a part change may not actually take place for a variety of reasons. I have a stack of parts catalogues with revision updates stapled inside.

Anyway, we have another interesting discussion going which may or may not be resolved....
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Totally agree with Big Rob on this one. As long as you're you're not breaking an ADR you'd run out your old stock before your ordered new in.
    A couple years back the company I work for changed the housing colours of our products, however I'm still occasionally installing parts from stock in the old housing. On books somewhere it would say that from date X we used the new colour, but there is no way we'd bin good parts for a colour change, or in the case no way they'd bin the old nuts because they decided to get a cheaper to make nut.

Thread Information