Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Correct Wheel Nuts for GTS wheels.

Correct Wheel Nuts for GTS wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Absinth View Post
    Hmm, what made you get HQ nuts for your HJ mate? Should have called me, I have four sets of Nos HQ GTS nuts that I got from Syvers Holden in Moorooka many years ago.
    any chance you could throw up pics of the difference and the changes throughout the models with respect to nuts? thanks very much
    BQZ

Only one change, there were HQ GTS wheel nuts as pictured above..... And then there were HJ to HZ GTS wheel nuts that had a chrome dome instead of the black plastic cap.

Personally I like the HQ style better and will be putting some of my Nos HQ nuts on my HJ...... I do have a used original set of HJ ones floating around somewhere....
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

cheers
    BQZ

Quote Originally Posted by Absinth View Post
    Only one change, there were HQ GTS wheel nuts as pictured above..... And then there were HJ to HZ GTS wheel nuts that had a chrome dome instead of the black plastic cap.

Personally I like the HQ style better and will be putting some of my Nos HQ nuts on my HJ...... I do have a used original set of HJ ones floating around somewhere....
    You are more than likely correct about the nuts from a catalogue perspective, but a load of HJ/X/Z's came with the nuts with the black insert. This would more than likely be because certain plants had a huge supply of them, or the company that made them for Holden just kept making the black insert ones. Just another anomaly between catalogue and reality I guess....
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post
    You are more than likely correct about the nuts from a catalogue perspective, but a load of HJ/X/Z's came with the nuts with the black insert. This would more than likely be because certain plants had a huge supply of them, or the company that made them for Holden just kept making the black insert ones. Just another anomaly between catalogue and reality I guess....
    Where does your info come from?

Sorry Rob but I find that extremely hard to believe. The HQ Rally II wheel nut was sourced from Pontiac Canada as were the rims. HQ rims even have made in Canada on them.

By the time the HJ model was released Holden was having the RallyII rims made by an Australian company (ROH rings a bell) along with the new style wheel nut..... Holden was not known for stockpiling Huge numbers of parts so I doubt very much many if any HJ's came with the HQ style nut from the factory let alone HX and HZ.

Learner Driver
    From memory the chrome domed nuts came out for the GTS with disc brake rear ends as the wheel studs where a touch longer.

Hi Sean, if you find the set of used HJ wheel nuts and want to sell them then please give me a call. I sent you a private message with my mobile number. Regards Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Vombil View Post
    any chance you could throw up pics of the difference and the changes throughout the models with respect to nuts? thanks very much
    Yeah, I need to see these chrome ones too.
    I don't remember seeing anything back when they were new except for the ones pictured here. I know for sure my mates HJ Sandman had this type and I had a mate that bought a HX Sandman new and I'm sure these were on it until he chucked the wheels and put mags on it.

ROH did make the wheels and when I was working for TRW in Sydney we made Holden wheel nuts, both the the standard (under a hubcap) style and the GTS ones, and that was 1978.

Put up a pic of the chrome ones and I'll dig through some old magazines and see what I can come up with.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

My HJ Sandman has the correct nuts on it and is a very original van. The brochure pic of Sea witch Sandman clearly shows these nuts.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post
    Yeah, I need to see these chrome ones too.
    I don't remember seeing anything back when they were new except for the ones pictured here.
    Well Rob, I have been wondering why you were so adamant on the HQ GTS nuts as I know your van had the correct ones on it..... However looking at the pics you have posted, it now has the HQ ones on it.... Rod has obviously swapped the HQ Rare Spares ones off his Yellow van for the correct original ones that were on the red van before he sold it to you..... I used to bag him out all the time for having HQ nuts on his yellow van.

Check out the link to your van posted when Rod and Jennie picked it up....

http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/s...adeira-Red-Van
    Last edited by Absinth; 02-03-2016 at 01:48 AM.

Thread Information