Thread: Rim size 17 x 8 fronts and 18 x 9 rears?

Rim size 17 x 8 fronts and 18 x 9 rears?

Gday everyone,
    Thinking of getting some larger rims for the HX van. I have been offered 17 x 8 fronts but can't get 17 x 9 for the rear so the supplier is offering 18 x 9 instead for the rear, or 17 x 8 all round.

At the moment the van runs 14" 245 50 fronts and 265 50 rears. However I also plan to lower the van about 40-50mm using new springs in the front and blocks in the rear.

My questions.
    Any legal implications running 17's on the front and 18's on the back? Tyre wise a 235 45 17 is very similar rolling diameter to 275 40 18 i think.
    Anyone done this ?
    Will I still get the 265 or 275 tyre under the rear after lowering?
    Should I just go 17 x 8 all round?

cheers
    HX Sandman Van - Bronze (Factory Tuxedo Black)
    HZ Kingswood V8 ute - very neat driver
    WB Bitsa Ute - inj 304 t700 19 inch rims stato front - bit to do still

From the legal perspective, I think even running 17's doesn't completely comply. Shouldn't be any difference running 17 all round or 17 front, 18 rear.

In New South Wales the RTA is now the RMS, so the article is pretty old from 2008.

I don't know about other states but I would be checking the rules as some may have changed/updated or repealed.

So going by those ridiculous guidelines....
    In NSW on a Sandman you can run massive 16x7" (14x6" being standard) but being careful that the offset is not all to the outside so as not to go outside the track limit!
    Good god!, almost everyone is illegal then with the mags they have fitted no matter what size.

Ok, now seriously, I reckon 17x8 with 235's all round would be very nice under a lowered van.
    I have 17" wheels on my Clubsport and Donna's SS and they ride nice. I have 18" on my Monaro and it's rough as guts (handles great, but the ride is harsh), so I don't think I'd want 18's under the back of a van.

Regardless, I couldn't see any issues with the Police these days, but bear in mind that if you are thinking of putting it on historic rego it's not going to cut it with something that big.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

The world really has gone mad hasn't it?
    Unfortunately someone or some department was paid alot of money and spent alot of time to dream up the "rules". I'd say 60-80% of cars that over 10 years old probably don't comply with the above.
    I think I'll just do what everyone does and put the bigger rims on anyway! Of course the Wildfires can always go back if need be.

Thanks for the input guys - I'll post some pics of what I end up doing
    HX Sandman Van - Bronze (Factory Tuxedo Black)
    HZ Kingswood V8 ute - very neat driver
    WB Bitsa Ute - inj 304 t700 19 inch rims stato front - bit to do still

Thread Information