Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: hz replica sandman ute/ custom

Learner Driver

hz replica sandman ute/ custom

Hi guys,
    Haven't really been involved on the forum here but have used it extensively for research which has been great. Im 32, have a wife and 2 kids, am a spray painter by trade, have had the opportunity to work on many older cars and restorations but I have a definite love for vehicles of the 70's.
    I couldn't quite afford the straight up cost of a genuine sandman with a mortgage and family etc so decided to piece one together. This car is really far from a replica, I have built it to be period specific to the 70's, not correct. I wanted people to look at it and believe its a factory vehicle at first glance but not being genuine have changed trim and bits and pieces and wanted it to have that 70s muscle car flavour.
    I started with a $6000 ute from Tamworth owned by a couple named Jay and Steve about 3 and a half years ago. Running a 253, manual and a 2.78 rear. yellow with brown interior.

I could post countless photos but while this was a fairly clean example of a HZ she was full of minor dents, had to do rust under the screens, under the r/h plenum, and in the Lh sill. The rust that was there wasn't bad. probably the worst feature of the car was the extremely battered tray and rear cab panel.

The car was bare metaled and repaired. I ended up driving her in primer for about a year. I sourced a twin headlight front off of a Hj statesman, trim pieces and everything else.
    I had started the project with a $500 ute off of a mate that just about fell apart from rust when sandblasted but it did give me a donor 308. I rebuilt this at home as it had had a very poor previous rebuild with a fairly standard bottom end with 40thou acl flat tops, crane 276 cam and lifters, rollmaster timing chain, yella terra bolt on adjustable rockers, edelbrock performer and rebuilt Qjet and pre pollution red heads with a bowl job and 1.94 intake valve.

I purchased and had a 700r4 rebuilt and added a b&m 2500 stall and backed it up with a salisbury running a 3.08 LSD. Hurricane headers with twin 2.5" pipes. Shes not overly loud but has a nice note.

The dash and center console I repaired and painted, did new carpet and made a rear cab panel trim etc, seats door cards and hood lining were trimmed by Shane King. As you can see, pleats in door cards and setas are not factory but are period features and had to be black for the muscle car feel . Making use of a B&M megashifter that I designed a plate to fit the factory console and was machined for me by good friend Peter King. GTS gauges and radio are all yellow needle suit HZ.

Over christmas I got 4 days to prep and paint her finally. The colour is a Honda civic colour of all things but is a throwback to antelope. Ive kept it to earthy tones for that 70s appeal. the black outs should be quite correct by the source material I had anyway. I decided to paint the Sandman stripes, the colour is my variation on the DY1 stripes, is a solid orange with pearl dark gold and brown. the sandman text I stenciled initially and then masked the pin stripes but the stripes down the side are entirely masked by hand... mostly not perfect to the original but good enough for driving past her.

Oh yeah, fresh chrome fiitted throughout. And weld draglites with white lettered BFG radial T/As.

I wanted something else for her, I like the early issues of street machine and van wheels and wanted something in the vein of the l88 corvette scoops that were popular, without being so retro. Reverse cowls were out. I decided on fitting the hump and louvers from a 68 ss camaro.

I still have tinkering and finishing and buffing and making things sit better etc but over all Im quite happy. I hope some of the people here can enjoy her as well!
    Last edited by starks; 27-06-2016 at 03:17 AM.

Neat job starks.
    Has a lot of appeal without being all anal about how many rivets make it not a Sandman etc.
    Also great to hear of a Queenslander who is anti reverse cowl (poxy things that they are).
    Some neat custom things there for sure. Nice one!

Lots of work and well presented.

Thanks for showing.

Banned
    Love it Starks. Looks like it would have come straight out of the pages of Street Machine in the 80's/90's. Big effort masking those stripes (did you mask the tailgate sticker as well????) and that sort of thing lifts it past the restoration thing.
    Looks tough just the way a ute should.
    Best car I have seen on here in years.

Great stuff mate. That looks awesome.

Its great to see something different with a bit of an 80s street machine flavor. Factory original gets boring after a while.

Goodonya!

Learner Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    Neat job starks.
    Has a lot of appeal without being all anal about how many rivets make it not a Sandman etc.
    Also great to hear of a Queenslander who is anti reverse cowl (poxy things that they are).
    Some neat custom things there for sure. Nice one!
    Thanks mate,
    Reverse cowls serve a purpose I suppose and ive fitted a few for people but theyre on everything now. No thought goes into just plonking on a fiberglass cowl. Glad you like it!

Learner Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    Love it Starks. Looks like it would have come straight out of the pages of Street Machine in the 80's/90's. Big effort masking those stripes (did you mask the tailgate sticker as well????) and that sort of thing lifts it past the restoration thing.
    Looks tough just the way a ute should.
    Best car I have seen on here in years.
    The sandman on the tailgate I had an outer stencil made for. From there I was able to lay the colours and individually mask the inner pin stripes by hand. The sandman on the guards was all stenciled one layed over the top of the other between colours. Took about 9 hours all up. Glad you think it looks the part... you wouldnt believe how much flak I cop because the cars got rake rather than being lowered all around haha

Bloody awesome looking ute good to see another one on the road

Looks great, a credit to your work and skills

Fricken stunning!

Those painted stripes are just something else entirely. Fantastic job.

Thread Information