Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Papaya

Sorry Sandaro, Bruce did tell me what he was using however I just can't recall at the moment. I am visiting the van tomorrow, I will ask again.

The van is being sprayed Papaya inside and out along with the normal blackouts, the engine bay is being sprayed black and the underneath of the van is being sprayed with a black rust inhibitor (not sound deadener). To finish off the panel and paint will be the application of Stickthis HX DY4 decals.

Inside the van I have already sought out a new full length headlining along with reupholstered seats and center arm rest in original material, new floor carpet, new dash mat and a new Rare Spares GTS steering wheel. Thankfully the door cards, armrests and center console are still in good condition.

The van will run around on the centrelines until I can save up the dollars to fit her out with GTS rims.
    Last edited by DNO62; 29-11-2016 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Addition of Stickthis decals

Sounds good bud keep us up to date with pics

That will be great to see.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Some photos from today, a bit more rust and finally some undercoat.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Lots of work, but it will be all worth it in the end. You will have something to enjoy for years... and something for everyone else to admire. Keep the updates coming. I, and others have the same work ahead of us

cheers
    Max

Great to see progress shots. What takes the experts days takes me months

Hi folks,
    Here it is Christmas Day and my van is still a long way off being completed, the joys of restoring a classic I guess.
    The amount of rust discovered once the paint was removed extended the process somewhat, however it is a good thing that it was found and surgically removed and replaced wth new steel. Bruce's 42 years experience in panel and paint has resulted in repairs that I didn't think possible. Especially the roof repair. It is so good to finally see all the body repairs completed.

Externally the van is now at the stage of its first undercoat rubdown, then undercoat will be applied again and rubbed down again before colour is applied. Then interior is yet to be rubbed down at all prior to application of undercoat, this is a job I have volunteered to do. Maybe that was a mistake.

The firewall, engine bay and exposed chassis will be sprayed gloss black first, then internally with solid Papaya, externally with two pac Papaya and lastly the black rust inhibitor underneath the van.

That will see Bruce's work completed and then it is off to Steve's for the roof lining, carpet and seats to be installed.

In the mean time I need to identify someone in Cairns to apply my Stickthis stripes. Any suggestions anyone?

Once that has been completed I will finally be able to take my new toy home, all be it on the back of a tow truck because I will then need to focus on the mechanicals prior to roadworthy and registration.

I reckon at this stage my baby should be registered and on the road before Easter, or more likely the end of the financial year. Speaking of financials my advice to anyone taking on a restoration for the very first time would be, that regardless of how good you think you are at estimating/guessing what the final product will cost, you won't even be close.

To those people who bag others for the prices they ask for restored vehicles, have a go at undertaking a restoration yourself and then you can watch you bank account rapidly dwindle as well.

At the end of this little adventure, I so look forward to being able to wander down to my shed and just sit in my new baby and make silly from "vroom vroom" sounds while I double clutch down through the gears.

Merry Christmas to one and all.

Well done sounds like the your progress is moving along nicely and on what say about others if only they keep things to them selves and stop picking the hell out someone elses pride and joy they have or they have for sale thats why l have no intension of putting phottos of my own here keep up good work

Some deserved to be picked apart, as the "restoration" can be suspect. You're right though. A good restoration should get top dollar. Usually the guys picking those apart aren't buyers anyway. They're usually the flippers looking to make a buck with minimal effort.

Keep at it. Sounds like you're doing it right and you'll jhave a lot of passion invested in it by the end.

Cheers guys, things are progressing and before I know it I will be looking for another project. ������

Thread Information