Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Papaya

G'day DN, I love what you have been able to do to rescue that Van mate. I have just got a HX PV as well and will be trying to do what you have done. I know the cost will be extreme, time will drag on, and I will never recoup the cost, but that is not important to me. This will be a car I do with my 8 year old son and 7 year old daughter, will be kept in the family till I can't walk, and will never be sold like so many of the other toys I've parted with.
    Yours is a Sandman so you have one up on me haha, but I'm planning on building one fine Kingswood that anyone would love to own.
    Look forward to seeing her when she's done, Dion.

G'day Dion,
    Thanks mate, it's coming together slowly.
    I spent today in the back of the van scraping the paint off the floor with a 25mm paint scraper. The original paint was flaking so it needed to be completely removed back to bear metal. After which Bruce suggested that we apply a product similar to Rhino Coat to the rear and front floors to act as a sound deadener. Sounds like a great ideation me, which is an example of how restorations can be evolving beasts.
    I mentioned costs in my previous post simply to suggest to those people contemplating a restoration that it is not a cheap exercise, however having said that, it most certainly is gratifying to see an unloved rust buck transform back to its previous beauty.
    Sandman, Kingswood or Gog Gog Mobile, it really doesn't matter the badge attached to it, the only person you need to please is yourself.
    Your project sounds awesome, in particular having your kids involved. Enjoy the ride and capture the progress with a few photos along the way.
    Cheers,

Hello folks,
    I hope everyone had a get a Christmas and an even better New Year. I know it's been awhile since I did an update, that is due to the ongoing saga of rust repairs. Every time Bruce stripped down another panel, there was just more rust just waiting to be dealt with. The amount of time spent grinding, cutting, fabricating repairs inserts, welding, grinding, filling, sanding and rubbing back has been insane. Having said that however, now that all the rust repairs are finally done and it's prepped for painting I am now almost completely convinced that the project was worth it. I am amazed how this rust bucket has transformed and that there is no obvious sign of where the repairs have been carried out. The roof repair in particular has blown me away.

The external paint going on this weekend will be a true milestone in the restoration process and a huge relief to Bruce. There will be about a week of doing all the fiddly bits (bumpers, grill, door handles etc) then off to the upholsterer for the roof lining, install carpet and seats. In the mean time I have to find someone in Carns to apply the Sandman decals and then finally onto a tilt tray for the 1 1/2 drive home where the pre road worthy mechanicals will be done.

Here's hoping it will be on road by Easter.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

God on you for preserving, love papaya, will look fantastic when complete. What stripe colours you going with?

G'day Sandaro,
    The stripes are Stickthis DY4.

It will be great and so worth all the effort.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Looking good loads of progress....can't wait to see this van finished, I love Papaya
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jennie285 View Post
    Looking good loads of progress....can't wait to see this van finished, I love Papaya
    I love Papaya too. Great colour. Wish my HXwas that instead of Deauville.
    Can't wait to see this van done!

Well folks,
    We had some significant progress today. The roof was painted first, then masked up with plastic to prevent any colour overspray getting on the clear, that is why some of the photos look a little odd.
    I will post some more photos soon.
    Cheers,

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    Last edited by DNO62; 19-02-2017 at 08:05 AM.

Nothing like seeing colour best feeling

Thread Information