Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Papaya

Project Papaya

Hello folks,

I am new to the world of Sandman panel vans and likewise new to the world of vehicle restoration projects. A bit over 12 months ago I saw a gorgeous panel van at a Shine and Shine at Atherton in Far North Queensland. My wife and I immediately fell in love with it and decided that we needed one. Need is a far better description because it then becomes a matter of life and death. I almost immediately found a van that required a lot of work and almost purchased it. The owner however had a change of heart and I found myself on the lookout again.

One year later at the Atherton Show and Shine of all places there was an old guy with a piece of gyproc plaster board that had a couple of really average photos of what was supposedly a genuine Sandman Van for sale. I got talking with him and found out it required a complete restoration and that it had spent the last 14 years in storage. I did a bit of research and a week later viewed the van. He was not lying, the van is a genuine Sandman and yes it was in need of a complete restoration. With rust in the rear left roof, both rear quarters behind the wheels, rust in the front cowls, a completely rusted out upper tailgate and other bits and pieces. The interior looked very average with the seats and centre armrest needing lots of love, bare floors with surface rust, cracked dash pad and a general shit fight.

Mechanically I was on a winner, the 308 engine had just had a rebuild prior to storage with Yella Terra heads and a lumpy cam added. It absolutely purrs. The transmission is a four speed Top Loader with an approved QLD Mod plate. Unfortunately the engine and chassis numbers do not align to the plates, it has a HQ chassis and a QLD Police engine number. The van had also been painted blue.

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

I decided early on in the piece (with a lot of suggesting from my wife) that I would hand the vehicle over to an expert for the panel and paint and I was fortunate enough to enlist the services of a Bruce from Fast Lane Body Shop in Cairns. Bruce has 42 years experience and learnt his trade skills the old fashioned way. He normally does work on hot rods however agreed to take the van on. Thank God for that for as you will see in the following photos the van has a lot more rust than first expected.

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

In amongst the rust we have found dodgy fiberglass repairs, the worst so far being the beaver tail stuffed full of steel wool and fibre glassed over. I know the van is forty years old and it survived the questionable repair methods of the 70's and the 80's, but really guys, steel wool !!!

Sorry for the long winded introduction to this project, I just wanted to paint the picture. I am already learning, that what is think you see before you is not necessarily what is before you. I will update this post with findings and photos as the restoration unfolds. Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings.
    Cheers,
    Last edited by DNO62; 29-07-2016 at 05:36 PM.

Nice pick up i think it
    Anyway good on you for bringing back to life
    gee they did some dodgy shit back in the 70s/80s

Learner Driver
    image.jpeg
    There's a pic of our papaya to keep u motivated!

Valencia, yep absolute dodgy shit. I suppose it was a period of drive it like you stole it, crash it, rebuild it using bog and fiberglass and then flog it. I think my van may have had an interesting life.

Wadeh27 thanks for the pic, I must admit I was a little disheartened when I visited the van today. It's hard to believe that my rusty hulk can be turned into something so beautiful.

Oh well, I guess you can't make an omelette without smashing a few eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by wadeh27 View Post
    image.jpeg
    That gorgeous

Another van saved, restorations are very interesting, you never know what you will find. A lot of money and effort, the end result is great when you are driving your van.

Cheers.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Yep Robbo, lots of time and money.
    Hopefully by using someone with vast experience to do the panel and paint the time won't be overly long; the money aspect however will be a different story. My initial thoughts on costs for the project has gone out the window, hopefully it will remain within 25%. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by wadeh27 View Post
    image.jpeg
    Wade, absolutely stunning looking van, is there a story on here about it? Did you buy like this or rebuild it? How long have you owned it?

cheers
    Max

Quote Originally Posted by DNO62 View Post
    Valencia, yep absolute dodgy shit. I suppose it was a period of drive it like you stole it, crash it, rebuild it using bog and fiberglass and then flog it. I think my van may have had an interesting life.

Wadeh27 thanks for the pic, I must admit I was a little disheartened when I visited the van today. It's hard to believe that my rusty hulk can be turned into something so beautiful.

Oh well, I guess you can't make an omelette without smashing a few eggs.
    Yes it gets a bit scary when you watch a panel shop go to work on your car. Check out a facebook page called 'mint monaro' if you want to see some extreme restoration panel work and the possibilities that can be done when you have a great beater on the job. Its a worthy cause restoring classics.

Quote Originally Posted by damienengland View Post
    Yes it gets a bit scary when you watch a panel shop go to work on your car. Check out a facebook page called 'mint monaro' if you want to see some extreme restoration panel work and the possibilities that can be done when you have a great beater on the job. Its a worthy cause restoring classics.
    Wow damienengland, thanks for the heads-up about the 'mint Monaro' page. I have checked out some awesome restorations on this site and have been blown away. However the restoration work on that Monaro takes things to a whole new level.
    To be honest, I would have walked straight past that Monaro thinking it was beyond help.
    It would appear that there is hope for my old girl after all.
    Cheers,

Thread Information