Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: yep... another electrical drama

yep... another electrical drama

anyone had any experience with all 4 GTS gauges dying at once? must be an earth but I really can't be shagged pulling dash apart... again, without a starting point
    BQZ

Earth wire I reckon.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Do they light up when you turn the lights on if they do then the earth would be ok but for all 4 to be out sounds like earth

thanks guys. The battery light used to come on with key 'on', now no light. I dropped column and pushed a few wires and now all gauges work but the fuel and battery stay on and reading even with ignition off. got me stuffed as i didnt go anywhere near the bloody cluster!
    BQZ

only other thing i've done is put a new battery in. might put the old one back in and see what happens!
    BQZ

Sounds like a dodgy connection somewhere?, do you have your dash off ?, Cluster is earthed at the lower right hand screw( the 3 that hold the four gauges into the dash

Quote Originally Posted by Vombil View Post
    only other thing i've done is put a new battery in. might put the old one back in and see what happens!
    Silly question, but did the earth lead from the battery to the body come off??
    BO6 = Rarer then a Sandman

That's sounds about right Agro. On your earth lead you should have two wires. Fat to engine and thin to radiator support panel. It's the thin earth you should be checking.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vombil View Post
    thanks guys. The battery light used to come on with key 'on', now no light. I dropped column and pushed a few wires and now all gauges work but the fuel and battery stay on and reading even with ignition off. got me stuffed as i didnt go anywhere near the bloody cluster!
    You might want to read the steering column thread with the possible results of dropping the steering column from the upper bolts. Looks like it can easily crack the column internally. Probably has nothing to do with the wiring issue though.

i never considered but looking back now some flop straight to the floor when you undo top bolts! i think at very least they flog out at the rubber boot on firewall

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by agr071 View Post
    Silly question, but did the earth lead from the battery to the body come off??
    i had noticed it;s looking pretty ratty. it's earthed to inner guard also which isn't ideal
    BQZ

Thread Information