Thread: Hamilton Island.

Hamilton Island.

Donna and I just got back from a short (way too short!) visit to Hamilton Island.

What an impressive place! I've been fortunate in my past sporting career to have travelled to a lot of places but this place is something else.

First... there are no cars. There are a few trucks and service vehicles but no cars. Everyone has a golf cart that is on conditional rego and speed limited to 20 km/h (16 in some areas... controlled by GPS). All road rules still apply but it is very relaxed and I saw no issues or accidents even in the busy Front Street by the Marina. There are charging points all over the place and you just plug in and get a charge and obviously give it an overnight charge at your hotel or wherever you are staying.

Second.... the entire island is licenced. You can carry a beer anywhere (except while driving) and yet nobody I saw was drunk or out of control, even at the famous "One Tree Hill" at sunset where a huge crowd gathers every afternoon to watch the sun go down. I never heard an argument or even a raised voice the whole time we were there.

Third.... the place is crowded. It operates at about 95% capacity all year round, but everywhere we went we were able to get a parking spot and walk into the bar, restaurant, shop or whatever without standing in line.

Fourth... The island staff are the nicest, most polite people I have ever encountered in the hospitality industry. Nothing was too much trouble at any time and everyone had a permanent smile on their face.

Fifth... It is expensive but worth every cent. Prices are high and tips are encouraged (and well deserved). I spent more money over the last five days than I have ever done (car and house purchases aside). Donna was disappointed at not being able to see the Barrier Reef because we hadn't pre-booked (8 hours!.... I would have gone crazy!), so we blew $1,200.00 on a helicopter ride out and back that only took just over an hour but was spectacular.

So anyway, if you haven't been yet, don't miss out on seeing this paradise at least once in your life. I have about 1,000 photos... here's a few....DSC03791.JPGDSC03823.JPGDSC03863.JPGDSC03805.JPG
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Good to hear you had a great time, no cars? What!!! Different for you guys

A beautiful place. We had ten days there in 2013, it is indeed paradise, incredibly peaceful. As you mention it is expensive Rob, but worth every cent.

Cheers.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Thread Information