Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The good old days?

Learner Driver
    sold my ht gts monaro for $2500 in 92 needed a work ute still devo today especially when mum pulls out the old photos and says remember this son

Quote Originally Posted by davegmh View Post
    Can someone lock this thread, I'm starting to feel sick
    I sincerely apologise for any unintentional emotional trauma my thread has caused, not sure if it helps, but I also feel sick

Was bout 1984 traded traded my SLR/5000 and got $1500 cash ...for this hx sandman that ended up being the biggest pile of crap on 4 wheels ...nothing good bout those days.

Quote Originally Posted by acmd View Post
    sold my ht gts monaro for $2500 in 92 needed a work ute still devo today especially when mum pulls out the old photos and says remember this son
    **** that!
    i sold a really clean HZ windowless factory 253 4-speed van in 2000 for $2500

* i did swear and the computer auto corrected it to read ****
    BQZ

Sold our original van for $3600, in 1986. Should have kept it and turned into a work ute, as thought we would have to do after no buyer for months, we would still have the top in a shed at the farm.
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

In 2001 a mate offered me his registered Silvermink HK GTS 307 auto cheap for $4000 because I'd helped him with servicing etc, I prefer manuals and didn't have the room (on account of other sh2@@boxes) so passed it up, he sold it soon after and I immediately regreted it

ThomasMaloney
    Ah, the good old days huh? Well, it's stuff like this that hopefully everyone can look back on and laugh about now that it's so long ago? Hopefully? Let's just hope that we won't let such opportunities pass us by anymore huh? And for all the people holding on to classic units like these, PAY HEED!

Its goes the other way too though. I bought my L31 VH SL/E for 8000, my LX SLR for 2500, my HZ sandman for 4000, and another matching numbers HZ sandman for 700. All except the SL/E needed a full resto and lots of money spent on them but I could never afford to buy these cars now.

Sandman Driver
    Agreed Hainzy. Perhaps it's just the market buzz at the moment, but people are getting very interested in any classic looking Holden, especially if it can house an 8.

Sandman Driver
    Anyway, staying on thread topic, with slight change of direction, I spent the weekend cleaning up boxes of stuff from family house being sold soon, came across my collection of car mags from younger days. Here's a scan of some covers.

scan0001.JPGscan0002.JPGscan0003.JPGscan0004.JPG

It's interesting, looking back, to note the years and months of these magazines. Both Wheels and Modern Motor review Commodore/Falcon, same month, same year, Oct 85. (left click x 3 to expand) Slightly different take on it from each magazine, but Wheels puts Holden ahead in the cover pic, where Modern Motor does the opposite.

The earlier VK V8 reviews, were also published in the same month - Jan 84. (Wow, that musta hurt the Ford fans, couldnt buy either magazine that month!! - lol)

Both magazines are/were owned by Australian Consolidated Press at the time of publishing (I just realised tonight).... ah yeah well I was 16 last I looked at these - Big Grin!
    Last edited by SLR_dave; 26-07-2017 at 01:25 AM.

Thread Information