Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caprice parts into HX Van?

Caprice parts into HX Van?

Hi guys.
    The bloke I just got my HX Kingswood (dam) Panel Van off has just told me he has a complete 1984 Caprice that goes with it for parts. He has already put the front guards, bonnet and front end on, but he's telling me the rear axle is disc brake and I can put that on as well. He says the seats don't fit, is this because of the bolt pattern, or are they bigger/smaller? Is there any other bits I should be looking at swapping off the Caprice onto the Van, or are they just completely different beasts.

Thanks, Dion.

IMG_0665.JPGIMG_0664.JPGIMG_0663.JPG
    IMG_0661.jpgIMG_0656.JPGIMG_0654.JPGIMG_0658.JPGIMG_0659.JPG
    Last edited by DionP; 23-12-2016 at 04:48 PM.

Hmm, I think the rear axles need modifying to fit into a commercial with leaf springs...however an 84 caprice could give you some fun stuff for retrofit. The seats should fit as my 1 tonner has Caprice seats in it and you could go for all of the Caprice electrics and factory A/C if its desired.

Quote Originally Posted by damienengland View Post
    Hmm, I think the rear axles need modifying to fit into a commercial with leaf springs...however an 84 caprice could give you some fun stuff for retrofit. The seats should fit as my 1 tonner has Caprice seats in it and you could go for all of the Caprice electrics and factory A/C if its desired.
    I was thinking of the electric windows, but great point mate, the A/C would be very handy here in the Pilbara and it hasn't got that now.

Also consider the Caprice front doors as a complete swap over. They have impact intrusion bars and the factory speaker pods are located high which seriously improves the audio if you retrofit a modern 5.5 inch two way speaker into them. They also have central locking in them, electric windows as standard and night lights for entry/exit.

Rape as much good parts as possible then throw the body away lots of good parts of those Statos

- - - Updated - - -

It should have a power steering box keep that

- - - Updated - - -

Get as many clips as you can to

Also consider the Caprice front doors as a complete swap over. They have impact intrusion bars and the factory speaker pods are located high which seriously improves the audio if you retrofit a modern 5.5 inch two way speaker into them. They also have central locking in them, electric windows as standard and night lights for entry/exit.
    The front doors fit the HX? that would be great and save a fair bit of pain down the line. It's a Panel Van, so the stereo has to be ear-splittingly loud mate, that's the rule haha. If I fit the A/C, the doors with electric windows, lights etc, will I need to change out the wiring harness, or just wire up as I go.

You can add wires as you need them

and the entire wiring loom, electric wing mirrors, trip computer, cruise control, steering column, electric antenna, intermittent wiper control, radiator overflow bottle, blue motor, turbo 350, map reading lights, sun visors with vanity mirrors and the partridge in a pear tree...

- - - Updated - - -

oh, and the big radiator, condenser, extra tranny cooler if fitted and the auxiliary electric fans in front!

Quote Originally Posted by DionP View Post
    The front doors fit the HX? that would be great and save a fair bit of pain down the line. It's a Panel Van, so the stereo has to be ear-splittingly loud mate, that's the rule haha. If I fit the A/C, the doors with electric windows, lights etc, will I need to change out the wiring harness, or just wire up as I go.
    The Caprice door harness will have plugs that end in the lower A pillar section so you could custom wire onto those as needed. The entire Caprice loom would work best, but only if you considered using the entire Caprice dash which may not be desirable if you love the GTS dash you already have. Most of the electrical trickery in the loom is intended for the Caprice dash so you might need to do a custom job to mesh in some of the really sexy extra bits.

The Caprice doors will fit but gaps may need massaging if your really anal. You may also need to fill in the rubber strip holes on the doors and grind off the little studs for the chrome trim if your not going to use it.
    Last edited by damienengland; 23-12-2016 at 08:47 PM.

The Caprice door harness will have plugs that end in the lower A pillar section so you could custom wire onto those as needed. The entire Caprice loom would work best, but only if you considered using the entire Caprice dash which may not be desirable if you love the GTS dash you already have. Most of the electrical trickery in the loom is intended for the Caprice dash so you might need to do a custom job to mesh in some of the really sexy extra bits.

The Caprice doors will fit but gaps may need massaging if your really anal. You may also need to fill in the rubber strip holes on the doors and grind off the little studs for the chrome trim if your not going to use it.
    Haha, shit mate, what your really saying is it would be easier to chop the Van part off the HX and weld it onto the Caprice I will have to see how far I am going to go, but I can safely say, it won't be as far as the list you are starting to make. And yes you're right, that GTS dash ain't going anywhere

Thread Information