Thread: Gts rim identification

Gts rim identification

gts rims or the correct name is rally 2...these wheels were made for use on pontiacs and there is heaps of different ones..i will be putting pics up of the australian made rims and explaining the differences later but first i am pinching this link from a pontiac site so you can get an idea how many variants there is..note that the 5 inch stud diameter is for what the yanks call large cars..
    http://www.pontiacserver.com/wheels.html
    canadian rim pictures with date codes...these rims are not correct for any sandmans that are having a correct restoration done..

the early Canadian rally wheels are quite different than the Aussie made ones.
    The Canadian pressings are quite defined and sharp compered to the Aussie ones.
    There construction technique is different.
    The quickest way to pick them is with the tyre removed they have huge spot welds as aganst the Aussie ones that are stitched welded from the back.
    Also an original Canadian rim is painted Grey on the inside and also on inner side of the rim.

thanks go to scott from concourse parts for letting me steal his hard work and pics..... http://holdenhqss.blogspot.com/

aussie or roh rim pics to come..
    Last edited by Alien DNA; 01-06-2018 at 11:38 AM.

i find the easiest way to tell the difference on the car is by offset, the canadian ones are 5 mm more offset that the aussie ones
    "All correspondence must bear these numbers"

ive just relised that i havent got back to this thread with my roh gts rim pics..soon..

Will you be explaining the stamped numbers and letters as well? I found 3 more rims in the boot of an XF out at the farm the other day ( god knows why I put them in there). The piles getting sizeable so I'd like to sort out whats what soon. I've got one set that definately looks like some kind of knock off copy, flakey chrome, crappy centre caps. Do you know what these were? I think the brand on the centre cap is Knights or something like that, haven't looked at them for ages.

i put the link in my first post but i will put it here http://www.pontiacserver.com/wheels.html again...click on that and it will give you a breakdown of the codes for the canadian/pontiac rims.has really nothing to do with sandmans as all sandmans had roh made in australia rims...

wheres the date code on proper gts wheels, ive got 3, 1 complete with no tail loin cap and dress ring that i found in one of our old sheds , also are dress rings meant to be the same from hq-wb i pulled the 3 that were on the van to have a set of 4 dress rings but the gts ring is alot squarer??

date codes for australian made roh rims are on the inner rim so if you have tyres on them you wont see them..easiest way to pic usa rims to oz rims is the stamping next to the valves...BUT..earlier holdens up to 1973 ran usa rims..from later 73 they were roh rims..so all sandmans did not have any stamping next to the valves on the outer rims..

righto then guess i wont know, i looked all over the rim and found nothing so it must be australian, i wont be pulling the tyres off incase i need a spare, for a trailer or another car, cheers, dont know about the dress rings being different?

Thread Information