Thread: Worn rat trap

Worn rat trap

Anyone got any suggestions on a good fix or have rebuilt one of these before. The rod is almost worn right through and the hole elongated a lot. Seemed to be working ok from memory when I was last driving the van but don't think I would have gotten much longer out of it. I have looked a a few on eBay and all seem to have the same issue. Maybe to a lesser extent.
    Don't really want to change to the cable setup and have to get a new bellhousing and pedal etc. and don't want to fork out $500 odd for the hydraulic conversion.
    Surely as these are so prone to wear someone has modified one and bushed it ?????
    Otherwise I guess I will have to try welding it up and redrilling the hole. mmmmmmmmm

Otherwise if anyone has a good one they want to sell me let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HQ Freek; 16-01-2017 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Afterthought

Banned
    Weld the rod back up with a mig and linnish it back round with a flap disc or belt sander. And realisticly you could fill the hole and re-drill it too. But it would be better to drill the hole out as big as you can, cut a piece to fill the hole. Weld it in. Re-drill the hole.

I would weld the rod with the mig and tidy up as wb says and weld up the hole with the arc and then tidy it up with the file mig welding is a lot harder steel than arc to work with or you could use silver solder on both

Mig for sure.... Silver solder is too soft and would wear again quickly.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Try filing it it's not soft if anything i would say it's brittle

Thread Information