Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Alternator

Which Alternator

Hi All,

I just order a Pro Flow 100AMP Alternator with an Internal Regulator. Is this correct before I install it? Or should I have not ordered the Internal Reg option?

Holden HQ HJ HX HZ WB 253 308 V8 Proflow Black Alternator 100 Amp Internal Reg

Appreciate your thoughts

100 amp is a lot bigger than standard I reckon they were 40 amp standard

It'll certainly keep the battery charged!
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Quote Originally Posted by HXsman View Post
    Hi All,

I just order a Pro Flow 100AMP Alternator with an Internal Regulator. Is this correct before I install it? Or should I have not ordered the Internal Reg option?

Holden HQ HJ HX HZ WB 253 308 V8 Proflow Black Alternator 100 Amp Internal Reg

Appreciate your thoughts
    Wondering how it went with Pro Flow, I'm looking at getting one from Evil Bay myself.

Hi Maysik,

The alternator is going well. Seems to keep up with my AMP and my light don't dim anymore !alternator.jpg

Just be aware that typically the higher the amp the more RPM before charging takes place.
    At idle it is likely not outputting much so not charging the battery. Normal highway use will charge the battery fine.

Thanks HXsman and Innuendo good to know.
    I was going a 140amp but looks like I'll go 100 amp Delco.

Banned
    100 amp is more than big enough unless you have added stuff with a big amperage requirement. Remember that the alternator will only supply the amps that your electrical system requires. So the extra capacity will never be used.
    As for supplying amps at low revs, you can change the pulley ratio but I imagine the manufacturer has already chosen the correct ratio to drive it fast enough at idle. Of course it's possible that if it's not designed for the application then it will be wrong.
    To work out the amperage of your cars electrical components you divide the wattage by the voltage of your electrical system. So a set of 100 watt driving lights you would divide 200 watts by 13.5volts. So roughly 15 amps. Power windows etc draw a lot but they only run occasionally too.
    I upgraded my WB to a 80 amp years ago after the standard alternator died. I had added AC and a set of Cibie driving lights plus put bigger globes in the headlights.
    Last edited by wbute; 23-02-2017 at 11:25 AM.

Macks and kenworths have 140 amp alternators 80 would be heaps

Looks like I've gone overkill then.

Autobarm could not help me but suggested I contact a place that could supply chrome alternators. Turned out this place supplies to mainly trucking companies and not generally to the public. They are looking after me though.

Thread Information