Thread: Where did the adjuster levers go?

P Plater

Where did the adjuster levers go?

I am putting my rear HZ brake drums back together after a rebuild using my manual as a guide but got to the end and no adjuster lever plate, link or return spring. I thought no probs I have a spare axle with the brakes attached in the shed, I took the drum of and its missing the same parts. Were those parts deleted or am I just unlucky?

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawso View Post
    I am putting my rear HZ brake drums back together after a rebuild using my manual as a guide but got to the end and no adjuster lever plate, link or return spring. I thought no probs I have a spare axle with the brakes attached in the shed, I took the drum of and its missing the same parts. Were those parts deleted or am I just unlucky?
    Whether it was due to ignorance or otherwise, it was the done thing in the 70s to remove those 'pesky' adjusters at the first brake shoe change. You will probably find that more than 50% of old Holdens out there have had their rear adjusters eliminated. This goes for Falcons & Valiants as well.

In hindsight it would have been better to understand how they work & let them operate as designed. The rear brakes would need far less servicing.

Dr Terry

P Plater
    Thanks,very much appreciated. At least I can move on and not bother chasing them. The forum rocks.

Thread Information