Thread: Adaptor plate. 308 turbo bolt pattern but what gearbox?

Adaptor plate. 308 turbo bolt pattern but what gearbox?

Hi All. Can anyone help? I've got an engine to gearbox adaptor ring and hoping to find out what gearbox it suits? Its definitely for a 308 turbo pattern block on the front side but buggered if i can tell what gearbox it used to be mated to. The only thing I'm certain about is that its not for a Trimatic as the top gearbox holes don't align with where a Trimatic would have bolted to a 308.

Any ideas?

20170129_142607.jpg

20170129_143343.jpg

20170129_144750.jpg

initially i thought it might be for a Saginaw box, but they would be chev pattern? Maybe something like a Toploader, used to see a few of these fitted.

The starter provision being on the other side a clue. Supra maybe?

From what I have seen in the past ,an adapter ring like that would be used for an auto box
    Or a 4x4
    Regards
    Neil & Cherone

Hey guys

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still stumped with this, but I've got a funny feeling its for a 4x4 or a Ford gearbox as suggested above. The starter motor location must be a clue but cant figure it out yet. I cant find any conclusive results on Google so still looking.

BTW, the 308 engine block in the pictures is one i had bored to 60 thou over and made ready for a stand, but after smoothing it out and applying a clear coat, it somehow got rust under the clear coat so ended up looking terrible in the pictures.

just an idea, but with all the corrosion, its not an adapter for an inboard boat is it.??

Thanks Muzz, appreciate the help. The rusted block wasn't originally coupled with the adapter ring, i just used it to prove that it fitted a turbo pattern 308. The ring has some rust so could be a marine application though. I took another pic with the gearbox outline traced in white paint pen as best as i could. I also marked the mounting holes in paint pen as well. I'm assuming the gearbox matched the round shape of the ring on its lower LHS.

Does anyone recognise that shape?

20170204_115343.jpg

Looks Ford to me, probably suit Top Loader. But memory is foggy on this sort of thing from years ago

Quote Originally Posted by maxsandman View Post
    Looks Ford to me, probably suit Top Loader. But memory is foggy on this sort of thing from years ago
    Hmm, you may be right. I just measured it up and the gearbox side seems to match the bolt pattern for a top loader bell housing, going onto a Ford block. If its true i wonder why you would make an adaptor ring for this and not just use a full bell housing for the conversion?

Thread Information