Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: VF Series 2 Camper

Quote Originally Posted by davegmh View Post
    Mate, did you think of buying a Sandman ute second hand as there are some for sale with virtually no K's on them.
    I did, but was sold on the extras the black edition comes with, especially the HUD, remote start and flappy paddle gears. Some silliness at that price, but I figure it will pay off in comfort.

I really value not having to look away from the road while driving and auto dimming headlights​ are a treat.

As for rain, yes I will have to plan carefully and perhaps sometimes turn around without making the destination, but that can be the beauty of travel, the unknown, the alternative route can be surprising. Or mind numbing and frustrating, at least I'll always have a dry bed.

This journey started 3 years ago when I hired the new VF sedan while on holiday in Darwin. Now of course I would never take a hire car off road, but some of my family live out of town...

Was all set to buy a storm 2yrs later, maybe even take the back seats out for a coffin style sleeper when I saw the ARB canopy on a VF Ute and rethought the build.

Once I found the Amcat canopy I was sold, then it became which Ute? Lightning? Storm? Sandman?
    I knew I wanted a V6, but didn't like that meant missing out on some kit, so when the black edition dropped I was done.

Then it was just about the colour and how long I should wait? Buy new or 2nd hand?

The Jungle Green goes against my more conservative side, but, when I see one on the road my gut tightens I smile and get a little grunty. I knew it was the color for me.
    I was waiting for the last commodore, long family history with Holden's, my Brother worked at the factory in Adelaide, both he and a cousin had original Sandmans, we've all had Torana's, even Mum.
    I could finally afford a new car and wanted to have the last real Holden...

Once I heard that the MY2017 would not come in that color I knew I had to move, I was watching and refreshing carsales constantly, ringing and emailing dealers, it went from 6 available with dealers trying to shift the MY16 models to only 1 new one left in the country within a week. I knew I had to jump on it and I got the last Jungle Green Black Edition SV6 Ute in the country, the last ever to be sold!

I went with my Local Dealer who had to work hard to get the place in Sydney to let go of it, I paid more than if I had bought it a week earlier, but I got it, the last one ever!

The car went from the dealership in Sydney straight to Zinardi/Amcat in Melbourne for the canopy, I wanted it to be on the Dealer Invoice and they did it for me.

The 2 stage Polish and most of the Opti Coating is complete, Joe at Clean Get Away detailing has done an amazing job, really happy with the photo's cant wait to get back and see it in the sun.

Joe also did the window tint, Suntek CXP 35 for side windows and CXP 80 for the rear glass just to cut UV and heat in the back.

If you need detailing on the Sunshine Coast I can gladly recommend them;

http://https://www.cleangetaway.com.au/

Joe found some small defects that I had missed, that's why you use professionals!

After

Now that its polished and the black is so black I'm loving it even more!

Today Clearly Protected in Noosaville will wrap all the green bits in 3M PPF. An expensive but worthwhile level of protection, self healing, 8mm thick, UV resistant and tough enough to stop stone chips and scratches.

Then back to Joe for the final detail and Opti coat on top of the PPF, this thing should shine from space, and stay that way for some time to come regardless of the torture I give it.

8mm thick ?? it would want to stop stone chips. Lol
    Disclaimer: I am not an expert.

Quote Originally Posted by davegmh View Post
    8mm thick ?? it would want to stop stone chips. Lol
    yeah, that should have read .8mm, sorry.

Not real sure how happy I am with wrap at the moment, the guy has said it will take time to settle and bubbles/imperfections etc. will disappear so I will reserve judgement and photos for now.

Suffice to say I am apprehensive.

Found an old photo of me with my first car, a 1976 LX Torana, someone had tried to turn it into the UC Sunbird, changed the dash and transmission.

TYmaS9Y.jpg

It was loud at the lights, fast enough to impress girls and kept me dry on my way to work in Darwin rain storms, great first car that I really didn't show enough love. Wish I still had it.

A couple of new photos

Xk1KKXO.jpg

Here you can see the distortion from the wrap.

kHgPIPa.jpg

On the road on my way back to work, flooding in Central Queensland meant an extra 4hrs of detours to get there. 13.5hrs in the car on its first real long distance test and it went great, didn't miss a beat and felt fantastic to drive.

SJeoaJ3.jpg

tLZ6oYk.jpg

Even had to dodge some fires as the farmers had decided now was the time to burn off, no photos of that, had to concentrate.

I found some Sandman keyring/placards people might be interested in, you can have them in a large choice of materials.

VBQ3He2.jpg

http://https://www.shapeways.com/pro...ionId=61967623

Moar Pics

Last edited by Camper; 07-04-2017 at 05:01 PM. Reason: broken pic links

How's that wrap settling down?

Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    How's that wrap settling down?

It is unusual to wrap the entire car and I do not think they would have a template for Amcat canopy even then, so a lot of the work has been done by hand.

The major thought in wrapping the entire car was to protect it from UV, Scratches etc.

It would be terrible to have noticeable gaps in that protection, fade lines etc.

There are still some moisture bubbles and I have concerns about some of the edges lifting.

There has been some distortion, color hieroglyphics that worry me.

I will take it back to the guy around 20/4 for an inspection and discussion, I don't want to jump the gun and write him off before that, I may be paranoid, he may be able to remedy all my concerns.

- - - Updated - - -

As you can see, for the most part it looks great, its just close up in small patches that I have concerns.

Thread Information