Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Campers Road Trips

Next Trip Planning

Planning the next trip already, heading north for 2 weeks in about 3 weeks time.

From Blackwater again, head west to Barcaldine, north through Muttaburra and Hughenden, check out White Mountains, Porcupine Gorge and Undarra national parks, then Innot Hot Springs, Malanda and spend a week or so around Atherton Tablelands before heading as far north as I can, at least Cooktown, then back down the coast (Mossman Gorge!) to Rockhampton.

This plan will take me on some very quiet back country dirt roads as I head west and turn north (between Barcaldine and Hughenden), so will have to check weather and conditions closer to the date.
    I think the Kennedy development road will be a great drive, worth the risk, after that it should be pretty easy, all sealed roads to Cooktown.

I can't wait to go and am leaving the Itinerary fairly open apart from some big spots already mentioned, I hope to stay mostly in National Parks and keep the trip under 4,000Ks.

Are there any lesser known spots I should try?

I think you're incognito. Lol

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sSi5nsI4PsA
    Disclaimer: I am not an expert.

Quote Originally Posted by davegmh View Post
    I think you're incognito. Lol
    Ha ha, if only.

epic road trip planned right there
    BQZ

I guess I should finish telling you about the last trip;

Tambo was a great nights stop, had a few beers at the pub and chatted with the locals, found another traveler who was coming from where I was headed.
    Hit the hay relatively early and was up before dawn, went down to the lake on the edge of town for some sunrise shots, there is a bird hide here on the edge of the lake, would be great for the bird watching types.

And back on the road, got phone reception again just outside Augathella so scoped out a park to answer calls etc.

Found a spot called Meat Ant Park at the back of town, gotta love an all metal skate park.

This photo represents so much of rural Australia for me, the old wood BBQ in front, the random skate park surrounded by dirt and in back the fibro houses.

It's a bit hard to see but there is a fairly new Camry parked under a shed that looks like it was built in the 1800's, in the back yard of a house built in the 1960's, with a sattelite dish on the roof. Love it.

The tree I'm sitting under is huge, trunk would have to be 3 foot thick.

and on to Charleville

It was mid morning by now and I love a nap, so found a spot and parked up for a bit.

Lots of bird song as they came to drink, must be the only open water around.
    I think the locals must feed them as they are very friendly.

Drove around Charleville for a bit.

I had planned on staying here and seeing the Bilbiy exhibit and Cosmos Centre but got quickly bored and figured I would come back another time, back on the road.

Stopped in at Tregole National Park, reckon I was the first person here for some time, had a definate serial killer dump spot vibe so I declined the walk and took off again.

Believe it or not its a National Park because of remnants of an ancient rain forest that still live here, the largest collection of Ooline trees left in the world...

Inviting BBQ area, NOT snake or spider free and down wind of the long drop toilet.

Saw some beauty while crossing this creek and decided to get out the car for some photo's.

a bit dicey getting there.

Decent wash out on the side there would have had me stuck, ended up having to reverse back up out of here, no way I would have made the creek crosssing and kept dry/clean.
    Good test of the car and my reversing skills, all worth it for the photo.

Next stop was the Neil Turner Weir just west of Mitchell, hadn't heard of this place but it turned out to be a ripper, you can free camp and there are toilets and fire rings!

Happened to see a sign on the higway and decided to check it out, so happy I did, wonderful spot.

Thread Information