Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Campers Road Trips

Quote Originally Posted by davegmh View Post
    The places you go in your Ute have been making me envious for a while now Camper. So on Friday my brother and I are heading out to a private property on the Barwon river near Mungindi for a few days. Taking my Ute out, it's all your fault Camper. Lol
    Hi Dave,

did you get out for the Mungindi trip trip? any photos?

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
    Great photo's once again, another place I must visit too.
    Thanks Mate,

I feel very lucky to be able to go on these trips, God knows I have spent a lot of time on my couch broke and bored. Probably more to come so I want to make the most of it while it lasts.

There were a couple of Celebrities there, I saw Margaret Pomeranz and Roy Billings.

The Today show was there the day after I left

https://www.9now.com.au/today/2017/c...0v0hp8qi01evkb

https://www.9now.com.au/today/2017/c...0n0hqwq8keuy5x

https://twitter.com/TheTodayShow/sta...65947739766785

Next morning I toured the sights of Winton;

the Musical Fence, made by Aussie Musician Gotye (somebody that I used to know), its a wire fence connected to resonators in the roof of the shelter that makes musical notes when struck.

In the background you can see a Drum kit made of old tanks with hubcaps for symbols and a bunch of other "instruments" to bang on. Some of them sound pretty good.

The local footy field, only green grass in town

Then I went for a drive out towards Boulia to check what the road is like for a possible future trip to Mount Isa and Lawn Hill

Looks good, should have no problems

The sunset that night was unreal, ultra clear air out there

the light really set off this bougainvillea

This is the road out of town heading west, talk about driving off into the sunset!

Next morning I headed back east towards Longreach

Quote Originally Posted by Camper View Post
    Hi Dave,

did you get out for the Mungindi trip trip? any photos?
    Yeah mate, got out there for a few days. Hadn't been out there for a few years but I just love getting out in the bush......as long as I'm on a river.
    IMG_5907.JPGimage.jpeg
    image.jpegimage.jpeg
    image.jpegimage.jpeg
    image.jpegimage.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    Last edited by davegmh; 05-07-2017 at 07:44 AM.
    Disclaimer: I am not an expert.

Yeah mate, got out there for a few days. Hadn't been out there for a few years but I just love getting out in the bush......as long as I'm on a river.
    IMG_5907.JPG
    Yep in the bush on a river Paradise

Some good looking fish there.

Imagine what it would have been like for those surveyors back in the day, unspoilt paradise but hot and hard work moving through it.

How'd the ute go?

Quote Originally Posted by Camper View Post
    Some good looking fish there.

Imagine what it would have been like for those surveyors back in the day, unspoilt paradise but hot and hard work moving through it.

How'd the ute go?
    I might have given you a bum steer there Camper. I did say I was taking my Ute, and I did........ my Colorado.
    Disclaimer: I am not an expert.

I might have given you a bum steer there Camper. I did say I was taking my Ute, and I did........ my Colorado.
    All good mate.

On the road again heading East towards Longreach;

I decided to go look at Captain Starlight's Lookout, 47K's of dirt road, black soil plains out here mean the road is often closed after rain.

This is where I came across the gibbers, road is rough but if you take it easy it's not so bad, locals were surprised that I made it in and out.

gotta love those reflections

Captain Starlight's Lookout, doesn't look very high but it's so flat around you can see for miles from the top.

Looking at this rock after being at the Dinosaur place made me feel like I could see back into history.

The top is swirled like coral or the sea floor.

I wonder what Starlight thought of it, what was the prevailing theory at the time?

"While the legend of Captain Starlight is largely contested, it is believed he and his men gathered together 1000 stolen cattle at this Lookout and split them into three groups to avoid a suspicious dust cloud. An epic journey followed through largely unexplored country, along the Barcoo River, Cooper Creek and Strezlecki Track toward South Australia. Around 800 miles into their journey Starlight was forced to sell a white pedigree bull at Hill Hill Station to purchase supplies. Carrying on to Blanchwater station, Starlight was unaware of his dire error. Here he sold the rest of the herd for approximately $10,000; however, he received only a note promising payment in six months. By this time three Bowen Downs stockmen were already well down the Cooper on the trail of the mob. They soon found the white bull. Starlight was arrested in 1872 and tried in Roma a year later. Despite strong evidence, including the distinctive bull which had been shipped back to Queensland, the jury voted “not guilty”, to which a stunned judge said “I thank God that verdict is yours, gentlemen and not mine.”

I saw a lot of different country in the short drive to the lookout, from dry yellow/white dust to black soil, gibbers, channel/creek crossings and red dirt, more variety than the 2hrs before it.

Thread Information