Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Campers Road Trips

Have a great trip Camper, it will certainly be enjoyable in your van.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

I'm Back, made it all the way to Cooktown and back to Blackwater;

That's some good mileage Cameron. I'm sure you have a tales to tell and sights to show!

That would have been some trip, Cooktown used to be 4wd territory.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Good to see you putting your dreams for the Van into reality Camper. Done some awesome trips most of us only dream of completing. Fully jealous

The places you go in your Ute have been making me envious for a while now Camper. So on Friday my brother and I are heading out to a private property on the Barwon river near Mungindi for a few days. Taking my Ute out, it's all your fault Camper. Lol
    Last edited by davegmh; 13-06-2017 at 09:25 AM.
    Disclaimer: I am not an expert.

Thanks Guys,

the above photo is on the lookout above Cooktown "Grassy Hill", my new favourite parking spot, I spent a few hours here just staring out and wondering what it was like when Captain Cook pulled in here.

Cooktown in its full glory, the bend in the river is where Cook pulled up in the Endeavour.

Ok,

I guess I should start from the beginning, I took the Gregory Highway north from Emerald.
    Its a good road, 2 lanes all the way and well maintained, will have to head back to this area again for more exploring. Clermont seemed nicer than I expected from its reputation as a mining town.

First real sight for me was the peak downs range, I had no idea it was even an actual mountain range, had heard of peak downs etc. but no real knowledge.

Only stopped because of a scenic sight sign, I vowed then that I would stop at every one I saw and I'm glad I did, saw some great sights and revelled in the best part of solo no plans travel, I stop where I want, when I want.

some of those Peaks seem man made

Yeah, its blacktop all the way to Cooktown now, with graded roads available to Weipa and right to Bamaga at the tip.

Still 4wd from Cape Tribulation to Cooktown via Bloomfield, I had to go the long way around through Lakeland but it was a nice drive over ranges and through some marvellous country. I got to cross the very tip of the great dividing range, which was cool.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by davegmh View Post
    The places you go in your Ute have been making me envious for a while now Camper. So on Friday my brother and I are heading out to a private property on the Barwon river near Mungindi for a few days. Taking my Ute out, it's all your fault Camper. Lol
    Ha Ha, Great stuff. Would love to road trip down that way some day, right along the border to Cameron Corner.

First nights camp was about 5 Ks off the highway and about 45 Ks north of Rockhampton at Fletcher Creek rest stop, on the Lynd Highway.

Its a popular spot for the Grey Haired Nomads, so I ended up much further back from the road than planned, which meant I didn't really have access to the toilets, I survived the night just fine.

The road continues on to Dalrymple national Park, not sure I would have made it over the river crossing so camped beside the road, only saw 1 other car that night.

First Campfire I've had to myself in a while so really enjoyed this

Just me, a couple of beers and... f**k what was that noise over there? Dingo? Maniacal Murdering Mad Man? no? just a curious night time roo, cool. cool.

Seriously, it can be a little unnerving on your own, but all in all I enjoy the solitude.

Thread Information