Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 308 Electronic Ignition

308 Electronic Ignition

Hello folks,

Bellow is a photo of the electronic ignition system on my van, it was installed 15+ years ago as the van sat in a shed for 14 years beforeI bought it. The engine starts fine and it runs well, however if you stall it or shut it down while it is hot the engine will not fire again until it has sat for a few minutes resting. I think the problem is the ignition module overheating or possibly the coil. Perhaps the best option is to upgrade the system.
    I have no idea about what is currently available and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Being a simple person photos of your setups would help heaps.
    Cheers,

image.jpeg

When it happens, feel the coil. As you state, if its hot (burning hot) its on the way out and needs replacing. I had the same problem years ago, just replaced coil.

Cheers Sandro, I will most certainly give that a go.

Hello Sandaro,

Thanks for the tip, I took the van for a drive and yep the coil was crazy hot.

Good stuff, hopefully that's the only problem. Just make sure you get the right voltage coil, pretty sure electronic is full 12V and opposed to standard 7v

The drama continues, I installed a new coil and things were looking good, but alas the problem raised its ugly head again. When the engine is hot and you try to wind t over it just makes a click clacking noise in the vicinity of the stater motor like it is trying to engage but it isn't. Does that sound weird?
    Would it be possible that the starter mother or the solenoid is overheating due to the close proximity of the extractors?
    When it cools down, the problem goes away and it starts straight away.

Banned
    The solenoid is not engaging the starter motor. My WB used to do exactly the same. Start cold no worries. Get to town and it wouldn't work. If you give the solenoid a wack it will usually work. But it's time for a new starter motor. The heat won't effect them.

Thanks wbute for the advice.
    I'll try a bit of comparative engineering fault finding by replacing the starter motor with the one in my Statesman and see what happens. No point buying a new starter motor without confirming the fault first.

You can stripe them and clean and lube. Sometimes this works, check brushes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DNO62 View Post
    The drama continues, I installed a new coil and things were looking good, but alas the problem raised its ugly head again. When the engine is hot and you try to wind t over it just makes a click clacking noise in the vicinity of the stater motor like it is trying to engage but it isn't. Does that sound weird?
    Would it be possible that the starter mother or the solenoid is overheating due to the close proximity of the extractors?
    When it cools down, the problem goes away and it starts straight away.
    You also could have an issue,where the wiring is losing voltage because of the extra heat.
    This issue is overcome by using a starter relay. It'll then give a full 12v to the solenoid even if it's hot.
    Another issue is if the screws become loose, in the solenoid cap. These will just need to be tightened up.
    BO6 = Rarer then a Sandman

Thread Information